My brothers cancer

Tom123
Occasional Contributor

My brothers cancer

Hey, Im not one to post things online or talk to strangers about things but I thought I would try this forum for some reason.

My younger bro of two years has terminal stage 4 colon cancer that has spread to his liver. He's been through all the shit stuff like alot have, eg chemo, radiation beads in his liver, surgery but to no final success.

He is 30 years old. He's not coping to well with it all, I cant blame him though. He battled through testical cancer also at 19 years old. Its been a massive rollacoaster ride for myself, parents and sisters but still not over. I try and stay strong for him but have my moments of weakness, breaking down sometimes.

Just throwing this out there incase anyone is in a simmilar situation.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: My brothers cancer

Hi Tom, I'm not really in a similar situation, my husband is in remission from lymphoma, but I just thought I'd drop you a line to say Hi.  I'm glad you found this forum, it's really good to connect to people who understand what you and your family are going through.

Sending good vibes for you all, Emily

Tom123
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
Tom123
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Emily. 

0 Kudos
River
New Contributor

Hi Tom.   My son also has stage four terminal cancer.  It's truly awful.  I can only guess at how hard it must be for you with your brother going through this.   I watch my daughter struggle with the terrifying future facing her brother.  It's  just shit. ( sorry for swearing but it's truly so rotten and tough when young people get cancer).  I can't offer any great words of advice as I am a basket case much of the time, trying to be brace, holding the family together, looking after my beautiful boy ( aged 35) but just wanting to scream and yell and this stinking disease.     At least Tom you can know there are people out there who hear you and can empathise with you.   Cath

KatieM
Frequent Visitor

Hi Tom - my 36yo brother also has cancer that’s progressed to an untreatable stage. You’re right, it’s such a roller coaster for them and us and everyone involved - it’s bloody hard and you’re allowed to break down and be overwhelmed sometimes. The only thing we can do is push through. You’re not alone x

0 Kudos
Tom123
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply. My brother passed away on the 13th Jan this year. It was so horrible and Im still struggling day to day. A hard thing is having to move on so quickly- work etc. I have 3 kids so life cant stop. You kinda feel guilty for it. I cant imagine what your facing as a mother. I watched my mum care for my bro and see him suffer for a year. Having mum cry on my shoulder for a year was pretty heart renching to. I hope you are ok even though I know your not. Its a fucked up disease that takes the good people for no reason. If you need to msg me do so. You never know.. a chat might make a minute of yours or my day a bit better when your having a bad one.

0 Kudos
Tom123
Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much. Im sorry for you and your family. Everyone suffers from it.
0 Kudos
Bree_
Occasional Visitor

Hi Tom

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your brother.
My brother is in his last days, however we have been saying that for 2 weeks now, which is wonderful to have him longer than the hospital first thought.

I already feel the guilt of having to move on so fast.  I'm currently moving house and looking for work in my new area, while my brother and my family live interstate.  

Being down with them for the past 2 weeks, I also felt the pain of my parents grief and know the hardest part is yet to come.

Thank you for sharing your story, it is a horrible thing that I wish we didn't share in common, but I've been reading the forums off and on through all of this and it has helped.

Sending you love and comfort.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.