My partner, 25yrs old with GBM

cremm
New Contributor

My partner, 25yrs old with GBM

I'm new to this, but I'm hoping sharing this with other people will help me through my journey as a carer. My partner has a grade 4 brain tumor... Every day it seems though we lose more of him. He is at the point where he is very quiet, he barely talks at all and most of tw time it's just a yea or no response. He's been battling this since 2007, he's only 25yrs old. He's starting to get frequent headaches as well as throwing up most days and sleeping to try and work though the headaches. It's so hard and heartbreaking, he just doesn't seem the same anymore... I spend alot of the time just being strong and acting normal for my family and if Robs not horn with me my phone is glued to my hand waiting for that phone call. Watching him go through this, makes me feel extremely helpless, I wish there was more I could do ...
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
peanutz
Frequent Contributor

Re: My partner, 25yrs old with GBM

Sorry to say there is not much we can do. My journey is shorter than you and every treatment we have tried has been unsuccessful. I feel helpless the same but I learn that I have to let go and remember that no matter what happens we have done the best we can.
0 Kudos
knowhowyoufeel
Not applicable

I am so sorry to hear of your young partner going through this and yourself, i am also on here for the first time I just lost my dad to GBM 1 month ago after caring for him for 9 months since diagnosis last September. Although more rapid (and he was much older he 72 but fit as a fiddle beforehand) and me 32, I have seen all the stages and unless your are with them a lot it is hard for others to understand the good and bad days , then mostly bad and then something you have not experienced before. I truly believe and know, even from the words of a very good friend of dads that visited him near to the end, that though he could not communicate that is the illness and he was still there, all you can do is not stop talking to them or think that they cant hear you or know what your saying and be there for them and yourself. The life of a carer is hard and seeing the human body cope with illness is also but it is their way of coping in as little discomfort as possible I believe. Be there for yourself and partner and everyone else can wait 🙂 take care
0 Kudos
Melanie
Contributor

My heart goes out to you! My husband is 35 with an grade 2 astrocytoma. I'm 30 with 2 young children & it is extremely hard to go through this, with the headaches & aggression it is extremely hard to process & try not to get emotional. If you would like to chat more, feel free to pm me
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.