Need ideas to make the last few weeks happy and meaningful for a 12 year old girl

Bee
Occasional Contributor

Need ideas to make the last few weeks happy and meaningful for a 12 year old girl

H E L P !!!! Desperately need ideas to lift the spirits for a 12 yr old girl whose life is fading very fast. Background: My girlfriend's daughter has been fighting brain tumors for over a year now. Only 3 weeks after the last operation the tumors are back. Inoperable, chemo no longer an option. She is coming home today for palliative care. Physically she is slipping away fast. She can't walk, paralysed on one side, hands don't function well anymore, vision is now impaired, short term memory damaged. While we have a support network in place to look after the family, I am looking for ideas, what we can do for the child to lift her spirits, to make her laugh, and smile the beautiful smile she shared when she was better. Her friends are are stricken by sadness. It would help them to have ideas for happy/funny activities/ideas they could to with her/for her. Grateful for any suggestions.
0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
SILLY
Super Contributor

Re: Need ideas to make the last few weeks happy and ...

It must be so hard for everyone.Is she having her best friends around? Is she interested in their gossip.music,what's going on with them ? Some more ideas: TV SHOWS PLACES OF INTEREST THEME PARKS OLD SCHOOL REPORTS FUNNY MOVIES ALL PHOTOS WITH HER IN THEM FAVOURITE RELATIVES VISITS I don't know if this helps It is all I can think of at the moment.Maybe you are doing some of these,maybe these ideas will lead someone to other ideas. SO HARD when she is so young , a child ,but a child who was becoming an adolescent,ready to move into a new phase in her life.My thoughts are with you all.
0 Kudos
Bee
Occasional Contributor

Thank you ... every idea is worth a try. Unfortunately I think she is confined to her bed - not sure if a suitable wheelchair has been organised yet. The one-sided paralysis is making many activities difficult or even impossible. Photos are a great idea. I have rung the school to take funny photos of her class mates. I will also email everyone to send me photos for an album. Her friends can't wait to see her - but some of them have been sick with the cold and might have to wait a little longer. Really appreciate your input.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

Glad to help with ideas .How does the poor girl cope emotionally? I can't really imagine . How are her parents and siblings ?
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

A new thought- lots of hugs or similar to make her feel even more secure and loved.That's what I needed between diagnosis and surgery .Every now and then I'd feel a strange nervousness and/or fear and a sudden and overwhelming need for my husband to hold me. And I am 60 so I imagine a girl would need this more. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

A new thought- lots of hugs or similar to make her feel even more secure and loved.That's what I needed between diagnosis and surgery .Every now and then I'd feel a strange nervousness and/or fear and a sudden and overwhelming need for my husband to hold me. And I am 60 so I imagine a girl would need this more. Hope this helps.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

0 Kudos
Bee
Occasional Contributor

I am sure she is showered with lots of love and plenty of hugs. She has a wonderful family. A quote from her mum's blog: "She is so happy to be going home, to be with her family, her smile is enormous, this is her wish. We will spend every minute of every day with her filling her with love and happiness." Her little brother is taking it very hard. Family has flown in from interstate to help. The love and support is there - it is up to us now to keep her smiling. I have a daughter of similar age, she is the most precious thing to me. I don't dare to imagine how I would feel ....
0 Kudos
Mrs_Elton
Contributor

Hi Bee, I am so very sorry to read about this precious young girl and what she and her family are facing. Some suggestions Perhaps manicure/pedicure sessions with her friends crazy hair/hat - who can come up with the most 'out there' look (photos obligatory) cooking her favourite dish/cake/dessert etc and having a special meal with her friends everyone telling their favourite/worst joke (they could be written down and she has to rate them best to worst) everyone writing their own words to a piece of music and then singing it kareoke style mini Australia's got talent competition masterchef challenges - she comes up with an ingredient and her friends have to choose something to make using that ingredient. (they may or may not actually make it, just fun to hear what they come up) Yes/No game, ask people questions and they are not allowed to answer yes or no, if they do, then they are out. See who the winner is. Create a new word and give its meaning eg. awesomnia - so great you can't sleep if you have a scrabble game, put the letters in a bag/box/container, then pass it around, each person takes a letter and has to think of a name/flower/band (whatever you want to nominate) for the letter they pulled out. combine name of first pet, first street where you lived to create your royal title, eg Princess Fluffy Railway They are some ideas that have come to me, I hope that something in there is of use or may lead to another idea that will work. I was trying to think of things that didn't require too much movement/energy and that would also stimulate the other senses, taste/smell/sound. My best wishes to you all, Jill
0 Kudos
Bee
Occasional Contributor

Jill, What awesome ideas. I had to laugh at your new word creation - awesomnia. I will copy your ideas straight from your message and email them to the girl's friends. Hopefully they are still able to share lots of fun times together. The friends actually already have made up special names for each other. The girl's name is Midnight Cupcake. Thank you - much appreciated.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.