New to cancer

Rae75
Occasional Contributor

New to cancer

My Dad has just been diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer, he can only have chemo..my feelings are all over the place and I am trying to be strong..especially for my mum and family..is this ok..

11 REPLIES 11
sch
Super Contributor

Re: New to cancer

Hi @Rae75 

I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad and his diagnosis with cancer.

How is he going with chemo? 

What stage cancer was your Dad diagnosed with?

It's normal to feel vulnerable and not yourself when these things happen.

I hope everything is ok. Keep us posted please.

-s

Rae75
Occasional Contributor

Dad will start his chemo in a couple weeks..I'm trying my hardest to face my fear of losing my Dad..just want a quality of life for him..

0 Kudos
sch
Super Contributor

Hugs to you.

I'm thinking of him and yourself.

0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Rae75

I’m very sorry  to read of your father’s diagnosis,I hope the chemo can help.

0 Kudos
Grahame51
Occasional Contributor

I am so sorry to hear this.

My wife had her Whipple procedure for pancreatic cancer on the 24th of June.

Speaking with the surgeon and a theatre nurse we found out that if the blood vessels in that area are tangled up by the cancer cluster its impossible to operate. Chemo or radiation are the alternatives.

Hopefully the chemo will buy you dad some much needed time.

Grahame

0 Kudos
Gigi7

I'm sorry you're going through this. My dad got diagnosed only a couple of months ago with pancreatic cancer too. Was a real shock. My emotions were/are all over the place too. He can only have chemo as well and has now discovered the cancer has spread to his liver. It's just something to take one day at a time and if you need to talk to someone make sure you reach out

0 Kudos
Rae75
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your post..yes I am always reaching out to people for advice and how to cope with this disease within our family..

0 Kudos
Jj91
New Contributor

Hello I just wanted to reach out I am feeling the same my mum has also been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and she has just started chemo, chemo is all they can do for my mum as the cancer is very aggressive, anyways I am so scared and I don’t know how to feel about this either, I don’t want to lose my mum aswell, I understand where you are coming from, I’m here if you need to reach out this is a really hard time and will definitely need support through this. 

0 Kudos
Rae75
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jj, Thank you for reaching out, it means alot.  Yes I am always here if you need to reach out..I am now finding every moment with Dad is precious, everytime I leave him to travel home I  cry to the extent I got to pull over..being positive is the key..

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.