Please help

Stephie

Please help

My mum was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer this morning and it has spread to her liver. The GP gave her the diagnosis today and she has an appointment with an oncologist on 14th December. She’s been sick for about 6 weeks, but the last few days have been really bad. 

I’m trying to look after her as best I can, but I don’t know what to do. She ate a small chicken noodle soup for lunch, but I haven’t been able to get her to eat anything else. She’s barely drinking water, but seems to be able to drink certain sweet drinks like lime cordial or raspberry kombucha. She’s really tired and in the last few hours has barely even been capable of talking. She’s on 5mg of Endone and has a 3 day pain relief patch on as well. I’m all alone here and I don’t even know where to turn to for support and I just want to make sure I’m doing everything for my beautiful Mum. I love her so much. 

It’s now 10pm and I went in to see if she could eat something as she hasn’t since 12pm, but she just screwed up her face and said “you can’t make me”. What do I do? 

She was watching TV for a bit but even that seems too much for her this evening. I’m so lost and I’m so worried. Please help me. 

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: Please help

Hi Stephie, I'm so sorry you and your Mum are going through this.  You and your Mum have to wait a long time to see the Oncologist, don't forget to take into account how stressful and draining that is for both of you, on top of everything else.    Apart from that I haven't really got any advice or anything- you seem to be doing the best possible job of caring for your Mum already, but I just wanted to give you a virtual hug. <HUG!>  Please keep posting whenever you need to, and do let us know how you get on at the Oncologist.  love Emily

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.