This is our story.

CC
Occasional Contributor

This is our story.

My husband is 35. Yesterday (20/11/14) he was diagnosed with Oesophageal (or possibly Gastro-oesphageal Junction) cancer. He had a gastroscopy and biopsy yesterday, there is a 27mm tumour at the junction of his oesophagus and stomach, and some enlarged lymph nodes in the region. We get the biopsy results next Tuesday, and a PET scan next Friday. For it to be operable/treatable, it can't have spread. Please, God, don't let it have spread! We have a 5, 3 and 2 year old, and there is so much to live for. We're taking it one day at a time, but I'm feeling very impatient about the days between scans and appointments and results. My dad died from cancer when he was 49. I thought my family had done our quota of cancer...
15 REPLIES 15
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: This is our story.

Hi CC, this is such an overwhelming time. Most people on this forum would agree that waiting for test results absolutely SUCKS!!!! I'm really glad you found this forum so early in the piece- it's a great place to vent/share ideas/ask questions and just generally be heard by people who understand what you're talking about. Unfortunately you'll probably find that there aren't a heap of resources directed specifically towards your (our- I'm 38, my husband is 42 and he was diagnosed 3 years ago) demographic. The Warwick Cancer Foundation is a group founded to support people dealing with cancer aged 25-40ish. www.twcf.org.au. They have a peer support program, provide practical help and have social functions for members and supporters. I'm sending warm hugs and good thoughts your way. love Emily
CC
Occasional Contributor

Hi Emily Thanks for your reply. I will look into the Warwick group, it sounds like we're in the bermuda triangle of cancer. Both a good and a bad thing, I guess. o_o We've had an update from the surgeon yesterday... it's definitely adenocarcinoma, which we expected. The PET is on Friday and we'll have those results next Tuesday. If it hasn't spread he'll have chemo, full gastric resection and more chemo (so, standard treatment). If it has spread... well, trying not to think about it. Have you got a family member/friend with cancer, Emily? Or have you been diagnosed yourself? CC
0 Kudos
CC
Occasional Contributor

Hi Emily Thanks for your reply. I will look into the Warwick group, it sounds like we're in the bermuda triangle of cancer. Both a good and a bad thing, I guess. o_o We've had an update from the surgeon yesterday... it's definitely adenocarcinoma, which we expected. The PET is on Friday and we'll have those results next Tuesday. If it hasn't spread he'll have chemo, full gastric resection and more chemo (so, standard treatment). If it has spread... well, trying not to think about it. Have you got a family member/friend with cancer, Emily? Or have you been diagnosed yourself? CC
0 Kudos
CC
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Hi CC, my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in 2011. He was 39, I was 35 (I probably should have told you that earlier, to give you a context for my post!) He had 6 months of chemotherapy and thankfully went into remission half way through. He's been doing brilliantly since then, and is currently on 6 monthly check ups. Good luck with the PET. I've got everything crossed for you! love Emily
0 Kudos
Kathyhtak
Contributor

Hi CC, I am sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. I know how devastating and terrifying such a diagnosis is. I was diagnosed with metastatic oesophageal cancer in late January 2013 at age 49. Mine is adenocarcinoma, the primary tumor at the oesophagus/stomach junction and it has spread to my liver. No surgery for me as I am Stage IV. I have been on chemo since February 2013. All tumors have shrunk and I am doing very well. I hope that you have good news from the recent scans and that your husband's cancer has not spread. Best wishes for you, your husband and family. Kathy
CC
Occasional Contributor

Thank you ladies. It's not good news. It has spread to his liver, and although the medical teams will be giving him radiotherapy and probably chemo, they've suggested a timeframe of anywhere from a few months to two years. Inoperable. I am hollow. He is in a lot of pain, and upping the dose of morphine/endone every few days. It is scary how sick he is getting. Three weeks ago he just had heartburn! I keep looking at our children and I just feel hollow. I am finding comfort and hope in my bible and prayer, and w're not lying down to just accept, but it seems to be progressing so quickly. I am trying to strike fear from my heart but the journey ahead is so surreal. I just can't even process it.
CC
Occasional Contributor

Wow, Kathy, similar journey. Sorry, I didn't see your post when I replied to the thread. Do you mind if I ask what your original prognosis was? Brett is stage III or IV, and for the sake of our littles, and for him, (and me) I am praying that he too can still be here 18+ months on from diagnosis, and beyond! How was your pain to start with, earlier in the journey?
0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

I'm so sorry. I know there are no words for a time like this. I'm a Christian too, and I'll be praying for you all. Please message me if you would like to share any prayer points. lots of love and hugs, Emily
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.