Thought I was coping pretty well......

Ky
Occasional Contributor

Thought I was coping pretty well......

Hello. On the 8/12/2017 my dad was diagnosed with cancer.  It started in his lungs and has spread throughout his body.... brain/spine/stomach. It's been a roller coaster since then. I've been asked to be strong for my mum/dad and my kids. Which I have done to the best of my ability.  Now that stress is showing up physically. I'm learning that pushing down the pain is not productive,  not in this situation anyway.  How do you all cope?  

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Ky
Occasional Contributor

Re: Thought I was coping pretty well......

Dads been taken into hospital with pneumonia.  He's not in a good way. They've had stop treating the cancer till he's better..... mum is really stressed. This helplessness is so heavy... 

0 Kudos
Budgie
Super Contributor

Hello Ky,

You need to take a break. Find someone you can download to.  

Has your father made connections with his palliative care team?  They are there for him & can offer advice & support for your father & you & your family.  You don’t have to be the only rock in the family. 

Please take care of yourself. 

All the best

Budgie 

Ky
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Budgie 🙂 I endeavor to do better.  Joining up to this site is step 1.

Ky

0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Hi Ky, I can echo what Budgie said.  You can only be strong for your family if you look after yourself, too- I know that sounds an impossible use of your time and energy, but it really will get you and your family through in the best shape possible.  The best way to do that is to outsource as much as possible- you could check with your Dad's palliative care team (or even the Cancer Council may know) if he is eligible for any government assistance such as extra money,  Home Help or taxi vouchers or practical stuff like that.  You could also keep a list of stuff you would like help with, so when people say "If there's anything I can do..." you have a meaningful and beneficial answer for them.  It may seem like an imposition, but most people who ask feel good that they can actually help in some way.  I wish you all good things, Emily

Ky
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
Ky
Occasional Contributor

Thank you 🙂 I really appreciate the advice 🙂 

0 Kudos
Ky
Occasional Contributor

My dad passed away early this morning 😞

0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

I'm so sorry Ky.  Don't forget to be gentle with yourself as you grieve.  Keep posting whenever you need to.  Sending you huge gentle hugs, Emily

0 Kudos
Budgie
Super Contributor

I am very sorry to hear that Ky. 

Please take care of yourself. 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.