What next??!!

Jeannaaf
Occasional Contributor

What next??!!

Hi all, am new to this site/forum, but am a member of OCF in the States. Don't have many facebook friends, most of them are also members of OCF, and at least 1/2 doz are from Australia.....lotsa love & support there. My husband was diagnosed in March 2009 with his right tonsil being the primary tumour T4 - late stage - He also had it in his jaw bone, base of tongue, soft palate and both neck lymph nodes. The radiotherapy and chemo ridded him of all cancer bar the large lymph node lump on the right. It has wrapped itself around the carotid artery and it cannot be operated on. How we have survived the last 2 years I don't know, but we are still here, and I love him with all my heart & soul. What is adding to this devastating situation, is the fact that my employer terminated me late Nov 2010 due to increased absenteeism. I am still to this day still struggling with this, especially under our circumstances. Cruel & heartless I think. I feel for all who have lost loved ones or been affected with cancer in some way or another, and my love goes out to all of you. I have to have a 2 yearly colonoscopy to check for bowel cancer since diagnosed with ulcerative colitus in 1992. My hubby had a ct & pet scan yesterday, the next follow up appt isn't until 24th Feb, a long waiting game but all our fingers & toes are crossed. If you need to ask any questions or vent, I'm here too. Love Jeanna xxxxx
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: What next??!!

hi Jeanna wow you guys have really gone through the mill with things. Your husband is fortunate to have you stick by him as you have done and be such a support. Treatment for that sort of cancer is tough to get through, although it is doable. I hope you manage to find some new work ... I am looking for work at the moment and it is not easy. I see it as just another hurdle in life to jump over, at least most times i see it that way. take care Julie
0 Kudos
Jeannaaf
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jules. thanks for your support...are you on FB? I have only about 40 friends, lots of support though as at least 1/2 are from Oral Cancer Foundation which I'm also a member of...not all Americans.... I can't see a new job unless via Centerlink or the City Council - maybe looking after others with cancer part time in my area....no oe will want to know me with my circumstances....which state are you in? Are you patient or carer? Facbook - Jeanna Edwards, pic profile Angelina J.....neet to state if you are a member of this forum or OCF.... Jeanna xx
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Jeanna I hope you find something work wise ... you never know what is around the corner. :) I am a patient or rather was ... now i am in recovery mode. Julie
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hey Jeanna, Wow and i thought my journey was rough, good to see you positive as that's the only word in my dictionary, hence why i spelled it correctly :) Bad news re the job which i think is a bit rough, my boss has be really supportive and given me a lot of leeway with time off etc,so have been really lucky in that regard. Got the fingers and toes crossed here as well and hope you get something out of this site as i have. member of OCF but hardly get on there,like to get some local feedback on here which i might add has been very informative. Like Julie I am impatient...oops..a patient in RM. Good travelling Dave
0 Kudos
Jeannaaf
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dave...We are registered with palliative care which is a huge support, also have 24 hr bulk billing locum service through the GP. I get a lot of laughs and support through my friends on FB - all 40 of them!! Need to laugh too. It can get very lonely at times, especially when he sleeps a great deal of the time. My work may have finished with me, but I haven't finished with them - conciliation next month. Glad you and Jules are in RM...what sort of cancers did you have? Jeanna
0 Kudos
Rodney
Contributor

Hi Jeanna, I thought I had a rough time with treatment etc until I seen your comments , I sorry your emplo yer was not supportive as it's one the last things you need to worry about , I was very lucky as I work in the public service , they have been excellent I even managed to get a promotion while I was having treatment - the interview was a bit hard but I was told the same day that I would require 31 radiotherapy sessions so I think I was a bit more aggressive than norm -hope all goes okay both of you guys -take care Rod
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hiya Jeanna, tks for the reply I was diagnosed with SCC floor of mouth,freeflap left wrist, T2N0M0 in april 2009,surgery july, rad treatment Nov and here replying to you now, glad to here you are going to fight your employers and heres hoping it's one for us good Guys. Hope you and your partner are travelling ok and keep up the positive vibes. Hi Rod, hope you are doing ok I haven't heard from you in awhile, good to hear about the promotion, maybe one day i may get one, I wish :) Dave
0 Kudos
diannep52
Frequent Contributor

Hi Jeanna It goes without saying that I wish your hubby well with his journey and treatment. I'm an advanced breast cancer patient, so the other guys on here would be more of a help to you, but......... I just wanted to say - YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!! take your employer 'to the cleaners' - how dare they sack you, whatever happened to compassion? I hope you win your case. Good luck with everything Di 🙂
0 Kudos
Rodney
Contributor

Hi Dave. Just been busy trying to get on with things , went back to work two weeks ago and it's pretty full on , I go back and see radiation occologist this frid bit nervous as I have had an ear infection and sore throat that just does not want to clear despite the antibiotics but I guess it will be all okay. Let you know how i get on take care Rod
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.