accumulated trauma from looking after mum with cancer

David76
Occasional Contributor

accumulated trauma from looking after mum with cancer

The last several years, my mum had bladder cancer. She's had several blocks of treatment and now has the all clear, and is coming up to the last few months of "preventative" chemo. So she's lucky. Yet I'm still traumatised by the whole thing. I'm 46 and live at home with mum, who is 77 now. Small little things set me off. Today it was a reminder about putting a script in and earlier a phone call to book the next chemo. Practically, it's not stressful, but for some reason, my mind magnifies every little thing medically related to the point that I'm sick of it. Do other carers get this feeling or is just me? I'm so sick of urologists, oncologists, chemo, hospitals, biopsies, cystoscopies, etc. I know I'm not the patient but it's like I have a form of PTSD associated with when she got first diagnosed and especially considering dad passed away with cancer almost 7 years ago now. It has increased my panic attacks, insomnia, irritability, etc. and this then makes mum more anxious, causing a vicious circle. And there is no tolerance now on her behalf of the struggles that I go through each day when these occur, often with her causing them. She's just sick of them. We both just want a free mind. Is this asking too much?

3 REPLIES 3
sch
Super Contributor

Re: accumulated trauma from looking after mum with cancer

Hi @David76 ,

I'm sorry to hear of your Mum being sick, but glad to hear she is better now.

When we go through traumatic experiences, all of these experiences can sometimes just add up to the point where we just need some help.

I don't think you're asking too much, so I'd suggest it would be a really good idea to seek out some counselling. We all need a bit of help from time to time.

I hope you find some relief.

-s

David76
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. I've had counseling the last few months and now have some sessions via Carer Gateway.

0 Kudos
Marley
Occasional Contributor

Hey David. Don't beat yourself up. You and your mum have been through a lot. Cancer is horrible for everyone and it takes a while to get over it. You have been there for your mum through her journey with cancer and that is fantastic. You need a bit of time to be yourself and I hope that you get it. Be proud of yourself David, because I am proud of you.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.