hi, new here, lost mum back in june,

kymmaree
Not applicable

hi, new here, lost mum back in june,

hi, found the link to this site, and thought id come over. reading through posts its sad, but i so feel a bit better to know im not alone. lost my mum aged 65 back in june, after 4 months of stomach cancer. im normally a mummys girl. so this years been hard. had my first grandchild born, lost my grandmother, as well as 9 other friends. all since mum has passed. i miss our christmas traditions, ive tried starting up my own for my 4 children. but i still feel so numb. weve had christmas eve at my mums since i was born, putting up tree (during our chrissy pagent) which then went to the grandkids.. when i got older. my partner also lost his dad back about 20 years ago, through cancer, so i know he understands how i feel, but i feel so guilty all the time being so emotional.. anyway so much for me just posting a hello.. spending the day with my grandaughter today. so just wanted to touch base. and say hello.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
kj
Super Contributor

Re: hi, new here, lost mum back in june,

Kymmaree My mate and his daughters are facing there first xmas without there mum and wife,we were diagnosed at the same time,she was a dear friend and they will be going through similar to you ,I cant imagine what you all are going through but best wishes to you all kj
0 Kudos
pmcpmc
Occasional Contributor

hi kymmaree i lost my dad last year and can totally relate (after he had fought for 7 years against various forms of cancer) whilst we were blessed with so much more time than we expected, i'm still feeling at a loss as to how best to move forward. i have two boys who loved him so dearly, my oldest gets very upset and sad from time to time. the milestones are the hardest - birthdays, christmas, fathers day... yet we have a few little traditions we try to keep, mainly for my boys. whilst its only been a year, some days are getting easier... some not. try not to feel guilty for the emotions, there really is no right or wrong way to manage grief. sending you lots of kind thoughts. p
0 Kudos
Kate_McTavish
New Contributor

Hi Kymmaree, I lost my mum when I was a 23 to breast cancer (1994), and struggled for many dark years without professional emotional support, I began to drink to cope with the pain, which just numbed the inevitable. Without any parents to guide me, I finally accepted that I needed grief counselling, some 8 years later to help me untangle the frozen grief and loss I was encapsulated within. I found an amazing qualified counsellor to talk to, hear all my pain, listen fully and hold the emotional space so I could break down and release my emotional suffering. This was my healing and turning point toward acceptance of her death without feeling guilty that I was abandoning her by wanting to stop hurting because she died. Kate.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.