husband diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer

Roxane
New Contributor

husband diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer

Hi I just learned the bad news last week, my husband been diagnosed with stage IV adenocarcinoma lung cancer. Live in ESK, QLD, wondering if there would be anybody I could connect with. My family and most of my friends live overseas, I got no family and just a few friends here. Thank you

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: husband diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer

Hi Roxanne, I just wanted to drop you a friendly line. My husband was diagnosed with stage IV Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma in 2011. I can imagine a bit about the head spin you are in at the moment. Feel free to message me or reply if you want a chat or someone to vent to. I live in Melbourne. sending warm hugs, Emily
0 Kudos
Roxane
New Contributor

Hi Emily, Thank you for your kind words and let me to vent on. So I will. Yes my head spins all the time. Hard to sleep and eat. He is still in hospital because they need to drain out the fluid completely, and therefore he'll need a surgery, today will be transferred to royal brisbane and booked in for the surgery tomorrow. And maybe by Monday he's home. He also has some disability, some nerve damage in his leg, been for some years now, He hasn't been working therefore for years. He can walk but needs some support, like walking stick, so manageable. But it's just something which adds to the list. I suppose to be his full time carer, but I have no idea how to handle it. With the physical disability it's easy, need a walking support, just put the order in, for foot brace or stick, and no problem. But how I will handle this? I'm crying all the time. How can I be any support when I am falling apart. I don't even know how I can concentrate on my job, I have a casual job, work on the internet for google. It's just provide some extra income besides my carer payment. This is a small community here,but fortunately there's a little hospital, doctors, and I have already been in touch with doctors and social worker. They all wonderful people. I don't know if ever anyone could put a smile on my face or on his face. How can you live like that :-( warm hugs and strength for you too
0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Hi Roxane, I understand where you are coming from. But you will get through this. Don't try to do it all at once, just take it one day (or even one hour, if one whole day seems too much)at a time- it's such a cliche, but it's really true. Don't forget, too, that being strong and supportive doesn't mean not crying- if you do what you need to do while wiping away your tears, your are being as strong and supportive as anyone can be. You could ask the social worker (or maybe they have already told you) if you are eligible for something like home help- having someone come in to do a bit of cleaning or grocery shopping for you, or something like that. Accept any practical help you can- the more you can offload onto other people, the better. Sending strong hugs- you can do this. Emily. x
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.