2010 a long road ahead

julie190270
Occasional Contributor

Re: 2010 a long road ahead

Hi everyone,hope u r all keeping as well as you can be,we are back from the bigsmoke lol and Alex starts chemo on thursday,hes got hodgkins stage 2,looks like a body builder with his swollen neck but his dr tells me not to panic even tho nodes are popping up everwhere. Thankyou all for your messages they were a great support to me ,Alex is still in deninal I think ,I dont think its really going to hit him until he starts the chemo.I have told him to come online and chat to other sufferes but hes not interested at the moment,at least when he feels ready to chat theres going to be someone on here that he can talk to, Well thankyou all again ,hope to chat to u all soon take care Juliex
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Julie Apologies for not replying sooner, i have been in a bit of a hole lately, am back out again now. :) Glad to hear you got back ok. Alex will be ok, he will come to terms with things in his own time. If you get worried that he isnt dealing then you could perhaps point him in the direction to get some help. The Cancer Council has a great support system in place. I think that the hospitals and social workers can access alternatives for you also, if that suits more. Take care and my thoughts are with you both. Julie xo
0 Kudos
julie190270
Occasional Contributor

Hi Julie, Hope ur hole has dissappeared :)Anything I can so just let me know, Well Alex had his first chemo yesterday and boy did it bring him into the real world,just of 4 hours it took and within a hour of him being him the sickness and diarriah hit ,he looked shocking and still wasnt too good this morning ,hes gone to his mates place now cos hes feeling better but Im worried sick about him,I dont think I have ever seen him looking so ill, I have told him about all the support groups but hes not interested at the moment,but like you said he will in his own time, Back to Sydney on the 8th March for a few days so hopefully the lymphnodes might of started shrinking by then, Please let me know how ur going,been thinking of u Take care Julie xx
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

I have a 20 year old son and cannot imagine how he would cope. My thoughts are with you and perhaps keep thinking of how resilient kids/young adults are. Take care, Samex
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hiya Julie Thank you ... am out of my hole now. I tend to go with the flow with my emotions, or at least i try to. i refuse to think that there is something wrong with me when most of what we feel is just natural and normal. 🙂 Awww am sorry to read that your son has had such a reaction to the chemo so early. Can you talk to the onco's and get them to change some medications for him? They are pretty good at making life easier for us, if they know. Your son may or may not want to access help. He may find canteen a good thing to access, even if he looks at a website just so he knows what is out there. But, he is young ... it is such a huge thing being diagnosed neverlone being someone so young. We have a few young ones on this website and they are great. I hope that things are settling down ok for you son. How are you travelling with all of this? Julie xo
0 Kudos
julie190270
Occasional Contributor

Good Morning you lovely ppl 🙂 wow what a weekend,Alex hasnt moved off the couch at all apart from going to the drs yesterday to get stronger painkillers,hes not eating,not drinking much and asleep most of the time,its very hard on his younger brothers seeing him like this,Im hoping today he will feel a bit better,yesterday was the first time I had seen him cry,he tells me the pain in his head,teeth and throat is horrendos,looks like another trip to oncology today , What really peed me off yesterday was the dr that we saw was the one that told us on a number of occasions that Alexs symptoms were nothing to worry about and sent us home at least 4 times with not even a blood test,when I told him Alex had HL he didnt belive me and went scaning thru his pc looking at all the results,and to top it off at the end of the consultation he said *sorry that u have cancer but thats life !* With that I stood up and walked out before I punched him ,Going to talk to my dr today and see if they will take Alex as one of their patients, Hope everyone had a good weekend,and u r travelling well :) Take care Julie x
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

hey Julie I hope that Alex starts to feel a bit better soon. I am just gobsmacked by that doctors attitude. I remember that i had one look in my mouth and tell me "oh well, least its not cancer". Least he had the grace to allow his eyes to nearly fall out of his head when he saw me with no hair and a tachea. My thoughts are with you. Julie xo
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

Julie i don't know how you constrained your self. Particularly when it is a child who is suffering so much. Definitely time for a change of doctor. Hope is feeling a little better and you are travelling OK. Samex
0 Kudos
Mrs_Elton
Contributor

Hi Julie, Unbelievable. I think you should have punched him!!! Some people seem to have insensitivity running through their veins. I really hope that the chemo can be 'tweaked' so that Alex isn't feeling so awful. As Julie asked, HOW ARE YOU?? Thinking of you all, Jill
0 Kudos
julie190270
Occasional Contributor

Good Morning to you all :),hope everyone is doing ok ,sorry havent been around much this week ,but been trying to get a few hours in at work,only have a few hours on monday now to go then the rest of the week off, Alex is doing great again at the moment,he was really sick for about 5/6 days,he even went to work for a few hours last night,so thats been good for him, I managed to get him on the books at my drs,they werent taking new patients but when I explained what had happened last weekend they took him straigtaway. Im coping,I think lol,not looking forward to him being so ill again after chemo next week,but Ive got to be strong,for his and the other boys sake, you are all in my thoughts take care Julie x
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.