Blocked digestive track due to cancer

bakul
New Contributor

Blocked digestive track due to cancer

Dear All,

My uncle's digestive track  has been blocked due to malignancy and he is not able to eat or drink anything.

History:
He was undergoing chemotherapy for duodenal cancer in Jaipur, India and the malignancy was removed. But, he is yet again detected with malignancy. The doctors tried to operate and remove it again, but they found that because of the radiations the intestine is stuck together and cancer has spread In it. They could not separate the walls out since it was damaging the tissue. Therefore they did not carry out the operation further. Since last 20 days, nothing is orally administered to him. He is on drip. 

I want to know if it is possible to have intestine transplant or insert a feeding tube anywhere in India or outside?

Thank you so much for your help!
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RJG
Frequent Contributor

Re: Blocked digestive track due to cancer

Hi bakul,

Sorry to hear that your uncle's treatment was so problemmatic.

I am no doctor, but depending on the specific situation, an enteral feeding tube might be fitted.

Mind you, an aunt of mine had sufferred Crohn's disease for many years. Eventually, they had resected so much of her small nitestine that she had to be on intravenous feeding. She survived with this for about 10 years. This didn't stop her from chewing and enjoying food, she just couldn't swallow it.

Warm regards,

Rick

bakul
New Contributor

Re: Blocked digestive track due to cancer

Thank you so much. This gives me hope.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.