Could I have a type of lymphonic cancer?

figlia5
New Contributor

Could I have a type of lymphonic cancer?

Hello,

First off, thank you to anyone who reads and responds this posting. Please let me start at the beginning... Back in July, the master bedroom closet of my apartment was treated for black mold. Unfortunately, my clothes were contaminated, but my husband and I washed them MANY times with mold-killing products, such as Lysol. Despite this, whenever I wore my clothes, I became sneezy and itch. In September, I developed a bad razor burn rash with bumps to the point where my underarms were too embarrassing to show. Since the rash was subsiding by November, I did not see a doctor. Late November I saw my endocrinologist for a routine Hashimoto's Thyroid checkup. At the end, she felt the right-upper side was enlarged more so than the left. She ordered a sonogram to check my thyroid. I failed to mention the rash since I thought it was insignificant (until now). The endocrinologist gave me until March 3 to get this done after feeling nothing extraordinary. Being scared, I got the sonogram done on December 17th. The results posted on the patient portal a week later:

Impression:

Unremarkable appearance of the thyroid gland.

Two mildly prominent right cervical lymph nodes measuring up to 1.7 x 0.9 x 0.6 cm with
cortical thickening, probably reactive. Recommend clinical correlation.

So, I called the endo office to ask for a closer follow-up appointment. The doctor did not have the results. I then called the day after Christmas, but the office staff said the results were not in, and the doctor is on vacation. That same day, I went to 2 aunts in my family who are registered nurses. The first said I have a fungal infection and to spray Tenactin all over my underarms, and to places it spread, including arms, neck, chest, and butt crack (sorry for being crude as I wanted to be specific). The other said I have extremely sensitive skin. Both said I have nothing to worry about. That night, I went to bed with a burning rash in my under arms and crack (sorry, again). I had it, already bought the Tenactin, and sprayed. I have been spraying (and not wearing the clothes) and feel SO MUCH BETTER. My aunt who called it "Athlete's Foot of the armpit" said the rash looks a lot better.

Despite this reassurance, I am still suspicious if any of these symptoms are consistent with either type of lymphomas based on (more-likely unsound) internet information. I greatly appreciate your input.

2 REPLIES 2
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Could I have a type of lymphonic cancer?

Hi @figlia5,

I just wanted to check in and see if you had gotten any answers yet?

Hoping all is well!

0 Kudos
figlia5
New Contributor

Re: Could I have a type of lymphonic cancer?

Hi KateKat,

Thank you for checking in on me. I finally got to meet with my endocrinologist this past Friday. She thinks the enlargement was due to having an untreated yeast infection (which I took as reoccurring razor burn) for a few months combined with a bad case of allergic contact dermatitis. However, there is the matter of the node being bigger than 1 cm and having a bit of cortical thickening.

For now, I’m playing the waiting game. In the meantime, the doctor wants me to see a dermatologist to treat the rashes. By July, I will have a blood test done and have another sonogram. Hopefully, both nodes will have gone down. I am still a bit worried and trying to be as in top of this as possible.

Again, I appreciate you reaching out.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.