Gbm grade 4 brain tumour

diannep52
Frequent Contributor

Re: Gbm grade 4 brain tumour

Hi Tanya I'm so sorry to hear of your dad's passing, please accept my deepest sympathies. I'm sure he knew you were there with him, even though he was sedated. It will be hard to move on without him, but take comfort in the fact that there will be no more pain and suffering for him. 'To the world he was but one, to me he was the world!' Take care of yourself and your family. Di 😞
0 Kudos
Mands
Occasional Contributor

Tanya I am so sorry for your loss. I, we all are here for you. Friday is going to be very hard for you. I will be thinking of you xxxx
0 Kudos
Rach_87
Occasional Contributor

Oh Tanya - No words can express the way your feeling right now... im sure he put up a very brave fight - Take care - will be thinking of you tomorrow XX
0 Kudos
thaker
Contributor

Tanya I am so sorry for your loss. Your dad is lucky to have had you by his side. I hope you have people around you who can give you the support you need at the moment. ST
0 Kudos
thaker
Contributor

MissyM My husband was diagnosed in March 09 and right from the start we were told that he was going to die. They gave us an estimate of 7 -13 months based on his history and were not far off (he passed away in December 09). At the very start the doctors (neurosurgeon and oncologist) told us that whatever measures we took were hopefully to delay the inevitable and to give him as much time as possible with us but he was told to get working on his bucket list. My husband's tumour was debaulked in Mar 09 ( as completely as possible). He had a regrowth in August abt 2mm abd by november the chemo stopped working and it was all over his brain so they could not operate further. Try not to spend your time worrying about whether your dad is getting better. He will have good days and bad. The best you can do is to maximise the time you have with him however long that may be. There are GBM patients who have survived years. We met someone who had been diagnosed 5 years ago and is still around, a bit more bruised and battered from the treatments but around. Also, the doctors when they comment about your dad are referring to him as compared either to how he has been so far or to other GM patients not to how a normal healthy person would be. I remember being really annoyed with the oncologist for being so blunt and lacking compassion. It was only after my husband's passing that I realised that he was only being real. I wish you and your dad all the best on this very difficult journey. As Rach has said its the time that you get to spend with them that's precious. Hugs ST
0 Kudos
MissyM
Occasional Contributor

To Tanya, I am so sorry for your loss. You did an amazing thing for your dad, and he will always live forever in your heart and through your memories. To all, Thank you so much. All your comments have helped me a great deal. I have realised that time is something that we dont have alot of, but i intend to make the most of it all. Melissa
0 Kudos
MissyM
Occasional Contributor

Hi All, Today the doctors have told us that Dad only has a few weeks. The cancer is highly active and the Avastin is having no effect. He has had a massive downwards turn in two weeks - from slurred speech and walking to no speech and in a wheelchair. His tumour is spreading at a fast rate, and so his oncologist has stated that anymore tests are unnessesary. We now have to face the reality that we are in the final stage. So, now we are preparing him for the transfer to pallitive care, so he can be well cared for and supported. I feel numb and scared. I hope you are all well, Melissa
0 Kudos
Rach_87
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mel, I am really sorry to hear about your dad. I know exactly waht you are going through - it is 2 months since mum passed today - actually near on - on the hour atm. I know there is NOTHING i can say/do to rise you hopes etc.. basically just be there if you need someone to talk to. I hope you get to spend some quality time with your father. Not far from my thoughts rach xo
0 Kudos
Tanyag
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I just wanted to thank you all for the lovely comments and condolences it really did mean alot it just took some time before I was able to read them. My dad's funeral was a true celebration of his life and I believe he would have been happy with it. Although it seems a strange thing to say we had many who told us it was a wonderful funeral and that gave us all such warmth. As much as it is so hard at the moment & I know it will continue to be I also know we were so lucky to have him for the time that we did and that this terrible thing never took his humour. To all those still going through this just remember this horrid disease cannot take your memories or your love away. Try where possible to look at possitives what ever they may be and dont let it eat you because that would be even sader. Love and good wishes to everyone.
0 Kudos
Mands
Occasional Contributor

Ok, so this time has come. I hoped as we all do that I would never write this. My dad has got tired of fighting and is now asleep, waiting to leave this world. I wish him the peace he deserves. His daughter Mandy
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.