HRT after breast cancer

Sarahjane
Occasional Visitor

HRT after breast cancer

I had a mastectomy on Dec 15 last year in Hungary for a stage 2 breast cancer and now grappling with two questions I cannot get an answer to here. I came to Hungary originally for foot surgery and cannot return to Australia for some time. 

Question 1. I have been on HRT for 25 years and had regular tests, the last was clear last year. I have been advised to go off it immediately as am oestrogen and progesterone receptor positive. But the last time I did that I had very distressing withdrawal symptoms so went back on. I have also been advised to take anti hormone drugs, again which have side effects.  Has anyone had similar dilemma re HRT use after after such a long time- I have seen conflicting reports saying cancer has still returned despite stopping HRT. And any experience with hormone drugs other than tamoxifen.

Question 2. The surgery did not take out lymph nodes as was meanr too and have been advised to have a separate surgery; another doctor advised against it and said cancer in lymphs can be picked up by ultrasound, is this true and if so why was surgery suggested.  

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: HRT after breast cancer

Hi @Sarahjane,

I have just sent you an email with some information that you emailed us about Smiley Happy

Is there anyone here who can assist Sarahjane with her questions?

0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: HRT after breast cancer

Hi Sarahjane, I don't really know if this will help you, but I've been on HRT (progynova and provera) for about 20 years too, although it was absolutely nothing to do with cancer.  It took a while to get the dose right, but once it did it's been relatively problem free the whole way along.  For me personally the increased risk of cancer caused by HRT is outweighed by the risk of heart disease and osteoporosis without it, but your case may be (and probably is) very different.  You may get more response to your questions in another area of the forum, as the people on here generally have not had cancer, but are caring for someone who has.  There is a section for people who have had cancer- I'm sure there will be more answers available there.  Good luck! 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.