Multiple Myeloma

MacaRina
Not applicable

Multiple Myeloma

does anyone have experience with Multiple Myeloma? My Husband has just been diagnosed and we would like to know how it has affected someone else. Also he has been told that it is unusual in people his age (early Thirties).
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
harker
Frequent Contributor

Re: Multiple Myeloma

MacaRina The first thing I knew about multiple myeloma was a realisation that I would have to correct people who thought I had melanoma. I am 56, 52 when diagnosed, and I was told I was relatively young to have the condition. So, early thirties does seem relatively young to me. The second thing I knew about MM was that it can weaken bones, as I fractured ribs very soon after diagnosis - no I wasn't doing the "MacaRina" - I was loading the dishwasher. No more macarina for him, I'm afraid, unless he's had a scan showing all clear. I had actually been told not to do any housework but I didn't listen. Theree's plenty I can say, fur sure. Send me a private message or ask here. I am happy either way. H
0 Kudos
ashes
Contributor

I am 51 and was recently diagnosed with MM. I have had Chemo, Radiotherapy and a Bone Marrow Transplant. I am now on medication to try to stabilise the cancer. If you want to talk about treatments etc please let me know.The worst part for me is the lonliness and not being able to share what is happening to me with anyone. I keep very positive but have accepted my fate and am ready to leave this world - but not before one huge fight. Maybe I am not alone after all.
0 Kudos
maddie86
Contributor

hey there i havent heard of this before, but if you need to talk pm me.. it can be hard to look after your partner when their ill.. ive done it for the last year and a bit and find myself some days really struggling.. xo
0 Kudos
ashes
Contributor

Do you actually have MM or are you just looking after someone with it?
0 Kudos
ashes
Contributor

How do you control the pain? How do you put your shoes and sox on each day? Can you bend cause I cant. I have tumours in my hips, ribs, shoulders, breast bone, spine. Any help to deal with these? Thanks Ash
0 Kudos
ashes
Contributor

My hips and ribs keep breaking when I fall or even getting in and out of a car. Ladders are no good. Fell off one the other day. Drew aloy of blood but didnt break any bones. Lucky I guess.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.