My mum with pancreatic cancer stage 4 and terminal

me_mum
Contributor

Re: My mum with pancreatic cancer stage 4 and terminal

Apparently the tingling is a side effect of the drug she is on, we are not expecting mum to have the operation so she will be on chemo for as long as she can take it.

She has skipped this week of chemo and is feeling abit better for it now.

Eating is still a issue but she is doing her best to get down whatever she can.

Taking things day by day, that's all we can do i guess...

0 Kudos
Keri
Occasional Contributor

Ah ok. I did ask mum if she had tingling and she said yes but not on her feet. Her tips of her fingers are numb now though. 

Eating has been a huge struggle for mum she rarely eaten this week. Try mashed up banana, mum can get that down. Mums seen Dietitians but that hasn't helped. Can't drink water either as mum says it's got a weird taste. I've got no advice for eating. I tried a microwave meal for mum once let it cool down and she still couldn't eat it. 

mums been good when she hasn't had chemo. It's strange really.

Mum went back to hospital today. Her discharge papers from Sunday has ascites on it. Oncoligist are seeing her tomorrow. I said to my brother today they need to stop treatment and make her comfortable. This isn't living. Dad seems to think that once the bloating has gone she will be fine but reading about ascites it's pretty much the end. She had this for 3 months now and the last 2 weeks it's worse. I doubt she will last another month. Maybe a week or two specially not eating or drinking although they have put her on fluids. 

Lets just say it's a pretty f&@&ed up way to die. Ever since she was diagnosed mums just gone down hill. Complication after complication and only just coming up 4 months. Bloody horrible to watch. 

0 Kudos
me_mum
Contributor

It is hard to see them go down hill, especially seeing them suffering, I totally understand where you are coming from. 

Not one Dietitian has been able to help mum too, and I think this is a massive gap for chemo patients. 

Is your mum going in Hopstial because she is in pain? Sounds like your mum should be in palliative care? We don't want to see them suffering. 

I don't know what ascites is I'll have to look that up. 

Ask alot of questions while your mum is in hospital, you want to know what would be best for your mum

0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Keri

Sorry to read what is happening to your Mum, thats a good suggestion about palliative care for her,I remember water had a metal taste yuk still remember, I mixed it  with a low sugar Cottes lemon crush cordial to get fluids in , it is still my favourite drink it can't hurt to try for your Mum.very sad to see the progression of this disease for all involved.

kj

0 Kudos
Keri
Occasional Contributor

It seems like that with dietitians. They say eat more but they can't. Mum tried protein shakes but stopped. I think she just gave up on trying things and doesn't feel hungry. I think even when mum could eat again if they decide to get some fluid out I can't see her being interested to eat. 

Yeah shes in a lot of pain. She said to the nurse is was a 9/10. Mums been sugar coating it all I said to her she needs to tell them what her pain is really like so they can help her. Before I left yesterday she was at a 3 but she shouldn't be in pain. I don't understand why she's not telling them the truth and why she wants to suffer. 

I I will be. Mum doesn't want to know so me and my brother will step away with them to ask. 

0 Kudos
Keri
Occasional Contributor

Hi kj,

ive tried getting mum to sort out pallative care for a while now she said it was a great idea but never done anything about it. 

Mum doesnt like anything sweet. She loved chocolate and cakes etc but now nothing tastes nice. It's a battle that I think you can't win anymore. 

Sure is. Can't believe how quick it's progressed. My great uncle has the same cancer with no chemo and lasted 6 weeks. He was in his 80s though and he was too far gone with the jaundice to help him anyway. 

0 Kudos
me_mum
Contributor

I've also been reading up on Marijuana Oil

www.marijuanaoil.com.au

Does anyone know anyone who has had this? It might help? 

0 Kudos
Keri
Occasional Contributor

My dad looked into it at the start but mum would prefer just to do what the doctors advise. I think mums too far gone to even bother with it now.

very bad day yesterday but when the morphine kicked in she changed saying she's still going to fight. I now just think your fighting and endless battle. There was no cure in the first place, mums always in hospital and now can hardly walk. But it's mums choice to stop. She's in a lot of pain now 9/10 all the time. But one of the doctors said to me they will more than likely Stop chemo with the infection, abscess and still suppected ascites chemo won't do anything. Liver function has gone down hill and that's all I know. My dads not coming to terms with it and thinks like she does, once they get the fluid out she will be fine. Talking of putting a permanent thing in to drain it all. Toes are going blue.

i feel I'm thinking the worst and feel horrible but deep down I know I'm not. Her eyes used to be blue but they've gone a pale colour. It's weird. 

0 Kudos
me_mum
Contributor

Just be there for her and support her in her decisions, its hard but stay strong;)

0 Kudos
me_mum
Contributor

How are things going? You must be getting ready for your trip soon?

Mum has been ok, having a week off chemo helps heaps, she is getting the port done this Friday, I hope that op goes ok and doesn't make her temp to up or give her pain...
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.