Need a White blood cells donor

Pam
New Contributor

Need a White blood cells donor

HI! My brother who lives in Melbourne has been diagnosed with AML and is undergoing induction chemo right now. I live in the USA. He is 2.5 weeks into treatment now. His white cells count had all gone down as it should with this chemo. But, it isn't coming back up and the oncologists say that it should have started regenerating by this time. He is in Petermac right now and the doctors are considering giving him a white blood cells transfusion to help him until his bone marrow picks up. Since this isn't like a regular blood donation, there aren't many who come forward to donate WBCs. He is A+ and the donor should have a matching blood group. Is there anyway I can send out word to people who might be able to help? I am thinking Redcross. Which other organization might help? I would really appreciate any help / suggestions/ ideas. Thanks! Pam
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: Need a White blood cells donor

Hi Pam, the white blood cell transfusion is something his doctors should be able to organise. They will let you know if you need to ask around for specifically matching donors (family etc.). Do be sure to as the doctors all your questions, though, and make sure you get satisfactory answers. Good luck with everything, love Emily
0 Kudos
Pam
New Contributor

Thanks Emily! I had asked here because the doctors wanted us to try from whatever sources we could.......but, now, the hospital found a donor and he is being given some cells. Thanks for your reply!
0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

That's fantastic!! I wish you all the best of luck. xx
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.