Oesophageal cancer surgery

Cathyedu
Occasional Contributor

Oesophageal cancer surgery

My husband will have his tumor removed this week.

He has been on tube feeds since September 2018, has had six rounds of chemo and six weeks of radiology.

His tumor has spread to a couple of lymph nodes to the left. He has Andrecarcinoma metatastic with unknown primary.

Has anyone had dealings with this? What should Iexpect when he comes home? Your advice would be appreciated 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Oesophageal cancer surgery

Morning @Cathyedu and welcome, I am hoping your husband's surgery went well this week or is going well if it is today he was having his tumour removed.

This is a handy book about what you can expect with any cancer surgery and afterwards.

Has there been any indication of how long he will be in hospital post-surgery?

0 Kudos
Cathyedu
Occasional Contributor

His surgery was on Wednesday. Went very well in ICU, now on the ward. He's feeling some pain and discomfort and having the NG tube is as annoying as ever. I dont know the outcome from surgery other than all went really well. Assume the Consultant will talk to us at follow up in March. Hopefully home Wednesday next week.
0 Kudos
Cathyedu
Occasional Contributor

Sorry I forgot to thank you in the last post. I have read the information but I wonder if anyone is in a similar situation who would like to share their journey as a wife and carer.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Ridgy
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Cathyedu does your husband have neuroendrocine tumours of the Oesophagus? If he does there are a few carer groups for yourself and for your husband online. I ask as NETs of the Oesophagus is rare but treatable. Ridgy, who has NETs of the GI tract

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.