Pancreatic Cancer Support

maddie86
Contributor

Re: Pancreatic Cancer Support

to Dpc ur not s health professional! if babies can get cancer then how can u say sugar is one cause? ppl r fighting for their life and are doing so with modern medicine! my bfs oncologist has studied overseas and has outstanding experience i trust him.. reading things on the internet does not mean its true...
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Maddie86 I'd like you to re-read again my opinion as I think you have totally misinterpreted it. I have left references from the "modern medicine" sources as you put it 🙂 I really do not care where your b/f's oncologist has studied and whether he has a cat or not. Listening to your b/f's oncologist does not mean he is right :) People like to be possessive in more than one way. It's just in the human nature. If you think sugar is good - consume it. Best of luck.
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

With respect, I think Maddie has a point. There are so called 'known'causes of cancer and yet what they have not yet discovered (to my knowledge) is the reason one person gets it and another person does not. To me, there lies the key to unlocking the cures or preventions. 🙂
0 Kudos
maddie86
Contributor

look Dpc i understand ur partners been recently diagnosed.. cancer is a long scary journey.. we like to have some sense of control.. im seeing my bf beat cancer with mental mind and treatments.. food may prevent this horrible disease but it cannot cure it.. cancer has been around for many years and they have proof that medicine and treatments wrk.. i knw my partner loves chocolate it makes him sane and happy.. he is defiying stats at the moment with inner strength and determination.. have ypur opinions but remember everyone has them.. my bfs oncologist has studied this for more years than you he has seen it all.. that was all i was trying to prove.. best of luck with ur diet rules!
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Maddie, I Agree with you that whatever makes your boyfriend happy and positive in his fight can only be good whatever the statistics say and the next thing you know good old fresh air will cause cancer as the experts tell us something will cause cancer and a year later they waffle on that they might be wrong, All the best for you and your bf and we are here for support whenever you need us, I am not intelligent enough to be a phillosopher nor do i need to read all the hard mumbo jumbo stats. DPC I am sorry that you and your partner have to go through this ordeal and we all tackle it in our different ways,but my understanding is that we are all here in a support role and to give personal experiences to how we are dealing with it . I for one get bored with stats and never seem to be truly proven. It's all down to what we beleive as individuals. good luck and hope you both travel well for the future. Dave
0 Kudos
maddie86
Contributor

thanks 🙂 its hard but i find its getting easier.. yes its true, phones, microwaves, sun everything seems to cause cancer! live life to the fullest everyday, enjoy it! good luck on your journey to 🙂
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks Dave, likewise. I hope you and all other members here get well ASAP and stay that way.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Vitamin D and prevention of colorectal cancer Edward D. Gorhama,b, Cedric F. Garland b, Frank C. Garland a,b,∗, William B. Grant c, Sharif B. Mohra, Martin Lipkin d, Harold L. Newmarke, Edward Giovannucci f, Melissa Wei f, Michael F. Holick Results: Overall, individuals with ≥1000 IU/day oral Vitamin D (p < 0.0001) or ≥33 ng/ml (82 nmol/l) serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (p < 0.01) had 50% lower incidence of colorectal cancer compared to reference values. Conclusions: Intake of 1000 IU/day of Vitamin D, half the safe upper intake established by the National Academy of Sciences, was associated with 50% lower risk. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D of 33 ng/ml, which is known to be safe, also was associated with 50% lower risk. Prompt public health action is needed to increase intake of Vitamin D3 to 1000 IU/day, and to raise 25-hydroxyvitamin D by encouraging a modest duration of sunlight exposure. Review article Breast cancer survivors and vitamin 😧 A review Stephanie L. Hines, M.D.a,*, H. Keels S. Jorn, M.D.b, Kristine M. Thompson, M.D.c, and Jan M. Larson, M.D.d Abstract Recent evidence has suggested a role for vitamin D in breast cancer prevention and survival. Studies have reported an inverse relation between vitamin D intake and the risk of breast cancer, improvements in survival after a diagnosis of breast cancer in women with higher levels of vitamin D, and vitamin D insufficiency in up to 75% of women with breast cancer. Preclinical data have indicated that vitamin D affects up to 200 genes that influence cellular proliferation, apoptosis, angiogenesis, terminal differentiation of normal and cancer cells, and macrophage function. Vitamin D receptors have been found in up to 80% of breast cancers, and vitamin D receptor polymorphisms have been associated with differences in survival. Although ongoing studies have investigated a possible link between adequate levels of vitamin D and improved cancer prognosis, breast cancer survivors may derive additional, non–cancer-related benefits from adequate vitamin D levels, including improvements in bone mineral density, quality of life, and mood. Maintaining adequate vitamin D stores is recommended for breast cancer survivors throughout their lifetime. Vitamin D status in a sunny country: Where has the sun gone? Marianna D. Unger a, Lilian Cuppari b, Silvia M. Titan a, Maria Cláudia T. Magalhães c, Ana L. Sassaki c, Luciene M. dos Reis a, Vanda Jorgetti a, Rosa Maria Affonso Moysés s u m m a r y Background & aims: Hypovitaminosis D [serum 25 vitamin D < 30ng/ml] is related to the development of metabolic bone disease and greater risk of chronic illnesses. However, it is frequently under-diagnosed, mainly in countries where UV radiation is abundant. We prospectively determined the prevalence and the predictors of serum 25 vitamin D (s25(OH)D) in a healthy Brazilian population after the winter and after the summer. Sunlight, the vitamin D endocrine system, and their relationships with gynaecologic cancer Faustino R. Pérez-LópezCorresponding Author Contact Information, a, E-mail The Corresponding Author Abstract Vitamin D term has classically been considered an important nutrient, but modern scientific evidence points out that it has a new and more critical role as ubiquitous hormone at the centre of a complex endocrine, paracrine, and autocrine system involved in maintaining general health. Vitamin D is found in small quantities in food; however, it is also produced by the skin when exposed to certain intensities of ultraviolet light. Substantial epidemiological and clinical data suggest a link between low levels of vitamin D and an increased risk of a number of female specific cancers. Different types of cancer cells present vitamin D term receptors and the enzymatic system involved in both vitamin D synthesis and inhibition. Sustained low levels of its precursor are responsible for alterations in vitamin D tissue and cell production and metabolism. The active form of vitamin D, 1,25(OH)2D3, can induce differentiation, inhibit proliferation, and modulate immune responsiveness of breast and a wide variety of female genital cell types. Vitamin D effects have been observed on expression of cell cycle regulators, growth factors and their receptors, apoptotic machinery, metastatic potential, and angiogenesis; all of which have some effect on hyperproliferative conditions. However, vitamin D blood levels may not be representative of the local metabolic alterations during carcinogenesis. Clinical studies support the recommendation to increase vitamin D levels to a normal range in order to prevent the tissue disorders related to hypovitaminosis D which are thought to be involved in the initiation and progression of cancer.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.