Peritonectomy operation (Peritoneal Mesothelioma)

jodielee12
Contributor

Peritonectomy operation (Peritoneal Mesothelioma)

My sister is about to under go a Peritonectomy operation for Peritoneal Mesothelioma. has any one out there seen, heard or had this form of cancer and can perhaps shed some light on it and what she is in for.
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Terrafirma
Contributor

Re: Peritonectomy operation (Peritoneal Mesothelioma)

Hi Jodielee , Here are some suggestions for finding relevant information. There's a detailed guide to mesothelioma and its treatment (including peritoneal mesothelioma) on the American Cancer Society's website starting here http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/MalignantMesothelioma/DetailedGuide/index There's a forum called "NSCLC & MESOTHELIOMA" on the Lungevity website - you can find it on their discussion board index page here http://www.lungevity.org/l_community/index.php I hope your sister's operation goes or has gone well! Ed.
0 Kudos
jodielee12
Contributor

thanks for this i will take a look. cheers
0 Kudos
purpleangels
Contributor

Hi there! My husband (36 y.o) had a peritonectomy at St George Hospital in Syd Dec 08. A massive operation- although he handled it quite well. He has a form of cancer that mimics Mesothelioma called EHE. His recovery from the actual operation was quite speedy- 2 days in ICU, 3 days in High dependency, then another 20 days in general ward. It is a massive op.....Be prepared for the visit to ICU- I wasn't and to see his chest going up and down mechanically on ventilator was VERY confronting. Ask all the questions you can of the surgeon and Clinical nurse consultants....although they try to prepare you, it is still a day by day, sometimes hour by hour proposition. Be prepared for crankiness, despair, crazy dreams and bizarre statements- all out of character and caused by drugs and pain. Sometimes the best thing you can do is just sit by them and read a book...a newspaper is too loud. My best wishes to your sister on her op. It is a life changing event.
0 Kudos
jodielee12
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. so far we know its going to be Sydney. we really wanted Perth as we all live here and it would be easy on her and her husband. she just wants to get it over and done with and be home. we dont know what is in store after the op, its a wait and see game. she has come so far with 2 lots of breast cancer and now this. she is strong and we know they will look after her. cheers Linda
0 Kudos
jodielee12
Contributor

Hi my sister and her husband landed in Sydney today (27th). the plan is to put her through all her tests and are expecting to operate on the 7th at St George Hospital. all fingers and toes are crossed for her and now its the waiting game to see how she goes. cheers
0 Kudos
purpleangels
Contributor

Hey there! If you are at St George you are seeing the best people! They know heaps! Good luck to you and your sister and the family over the upcoming op and recovery.....hope it goes well! Today is one of those days that I wish someone would just invent a cure or a vaccine for cancer NOW! Too much chaos it does cause! Thoughts with you! PA
0 Kudos
Terrafirma
Contributor

Sending good luck and best wishes for your sister's operation Jodielee - I hope it goes really well and she's soon home again peacefully recovering 🙂
0 Kudos
jodielee12
Contributor

my sister is in for the biggest op of her life tomorrow and its going to be a long day for us all as we all live so far away. we want to wish her all the best and will be waiting for the phone call to say the op is over and all is well. love you heaps Jenny xx Linda
0 Kudos
jodielee12
Contributor

thank you. its going to be a long day for us all. Linda
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.