Stage 4 Small Cell Lung Cancer

Tward
Occasional Visitor

Stage 4 Small Cell Lung Cancer

My 74 yo grandpa just got diagnosed with Small Cell Lung Cancer. It has mestastized to his stomach, bladder, and liver. They said this is aggressive and he begins treatment within the next two weeks.  He is having a really hard time and so is my grandma. My heart is broken and I am so scared of losing him. He isn’t in good spirits at all. He can’t eat anything because of the problems in his stomach and has been vomiting and diarrhea for over 2 months. I’m so mad they are just now finding this. Has anyone experienced something similar? What is his life expectancy from this? How long will he have if treatment is even successful? I have so many questions. I really worry about side effects from chemo with his age. 

1 REPLY 1
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Stage 4 Small Cell Lung Cancer

Hi Tward,

I am sorry to hear about your Grandpa. I lost my grandfather to lung disease also. Only a few years ago.

I don't know much more about it to be honest, but I just wanted to let you know that I am sorry to hear that your grandpa is going through this.

There are many variables that will effect his life expentancy, and you will really need to talk to his doctor to get any realistic idea.  Without the medical details, anything we tell you is likely to be guessing. I'm also not sure how the side effects of chemo change with age.

-sch

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.