advanced prostate cancer - fluid on lung and extreme fatigue

Positivity
New Contributor

advanced prostate cancer - fluid on lung and extreme fatigue

Hi there, my dad has had prostate cancer for years and has had several types of chemo and has been on zytiga for 14 months & now we're at the point where we're running out of options. All the previous treatment has kept the cancer in the lymph nodes (abdominal and chest)- it did move to bone at one stage but seems to have regressed from this area due to the last two rounds of chemo (trial drug). He put his name down for a trial chemo and only could take two rounds because he developed severe numbing in his hands and feet & developed enormous fatigue. He had to stop. He stopped about two months ago but he still has the numbing and now he has fluid on his right lung that keeps filling up. He is having a procedure today to seal the lung (or whatever they do). My question is : has anyone experienced fluid on the lung and was it due to the cancer or treatment? The Oncologist is suspecting cancer in this area but they cannot find anything. My father also has extreme fatigue at the moment and can barely walk. I wonder if this is due to the fluid on the lung (as it happended around the same time that we noticed the fluid) or is it the cancer? The Oncologist also thinks that the cancer is sapping my dad's energy but I am finding this hard to believe because the cancer is still contained and is not in his bone or organs. Can anyone please share a similar experience or their thoughts? Hope to hear from you, many thanks.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Confused123

Re: advanced prostate cancer - fluid on lung and extreme fatigue

My dad seems to be in this same spot. What happened next with your dad. 

0 Kudos
looker_labs
Contributor

Fluid in the lungs, or the sac around the lungs is serious,

but not as serious as cancer, regardless of the cause.  His

doctors should be looking first at antibiotics with some but

not tremendous effectiveness, or a drain to the exterior of the

chest or to his stomach I believe (stent.)  It sounds like with this patient

they are going to work on his limbic system which I thought would be a

final step but perhaps the surgeons have a good track record with

this type of treatment.  At least it should get him ambulatory.

Would you be kind enough to mention the name of the chemo drug

he got in what seems like an advanced trial?

My dad aslo has prostate cancer and mets(tastises).  I believe they

said blastoma, but he keeps to himself about it extreemly much.

Pain meds allows him to still bowl and fish.

I believe he should be on lacunin and keytruda.

Point being that this is just to fix a pneumonia type situation

and the patient should continue to battle the cancer with chemo

and surgery.

0 Kudos
looker_labs
Contributor

I hope he can tolerate the side effects

0 Kudos
kg
New Contributor

It sounds like your dad has had all the typical type of treatments that I've read about.  Not sure what trial he was on (name).  I haven't heard about prostrate cancer in the bones actually going just kept at bay so that was interesting.  I don't know what city you're in but there is a newish PSMA scan which is more accurate that the previous PSMA.  Not every hospital has one of these. This proved to be true as it showed up my husband's cancer much better than the test he'd had not too many months previous.  Have a look on an America site HealthUnlocked and go into Advanced  Prostrate Cancer.  There are lots of men's PC histories and also men who I think have a medical background who shed some light on things you ask about.  I've found it excellent and always.  My favourite person is 'fisherman' .  Because there are so many men posting on the site I always find something that relates to what my husband is going through.  Also most of the trials both in US and OZ are discussed on the site with  American, Australian and men from other countries have been on and these share how things have gone for them.  

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.