A young woman's experience with diagnosis of terminal cancer

sch
Super Contributor

A young woman's experience with diagnosis of terminal cancer

Hi,

This came up in my youtube feed and I thought that it was quite lovely.

It's about a young woman who was winning medals at an international level, before her life seemingly comes crashing down around her after a terminal cancer diagnosis.

She describes the emotional turmoil and how she has dealt with this within herself.

It touched a chord with me as her psychological approach to dealing with this, was quite similar to how I've dealt with 2 major illnesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czlMz5IhUww

Before you watch it, fair warning, the young lady has since passed away.

-sch

7 REPLIES 7
Iyana271
Contributor

Re: A young woman's experience with diagnosis of terminal cancer

ve this video, her story is really inspiring that how she has learned to live her life with happiness. Life is sometimes really cruel with us, I mean we're doing really fine and living our life well and one day got to know that you have a serious disease without having a single hint of that disease.

Btw thanks for sharing this over here, it has really opened my eyes!

Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the link Sch. I’ve had cancer in my life for many years now. Firstly my beautiful wife succumbed to it in 2016, now me.

That lovely young Canadian girl, with her beautiful smile and selfless attitude, broke my heart. Far too young, this cruel disease makes me ask, why.

I saved the clip and the next time I’m feeling sorry for myself,  I’ll replay it and treasure the 30 years I had with my wife before she left us and that pain.

Lindsay

Iyana271
Contributor

Sorry to hear about your wife! It must be really hard for you to cope up with the loss of your wife and now you're in same position and coping up with the pain of treatments.

I hope that you'll get better soon and I wish you a happy & healthy life ahead.

Be positive & think positive!

Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your kind thoughts, Lyana 271.  

I was very bitter when Maria first left us. With the love and support of her mother, father and 2 sisters, I’m a changed man. I understand the great value in our extended family. They are always a link to a truely wonderful woman.  She is always alive in our hearts & I will always be grateful.

I love your final sentence, it’s just how she lived her life, & how I intend to live the rest of mine.

Best wishes & love to you & yours.

Iyana271
Contributor

Keep fighting and keep loving your family! And whenever you're in pain share your pain with them as well, I hope with the help of support and love from the family you'll recover very soon.

Good luck!

sch
Super Contributor

Hi Lindsay,

I'm glad to hear that you've been able to maintain that relationship with her family.

There is another link between you and Maria.

You have your memories of your wife and your life together and that is something that you will always have.

-s

Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

Thank you Sch,

What you say is absolutely true. We are very close.

Lindsay

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.