I’m a widow

MariyaB
Occasional Visitor

I’m a widow

Hi. I’m new to this group. I lost my husband 2 yrs ago with Lung Cancer. It’s kinda hard when you don’t have your family here physically. I have only friends here as my support. I have 2 children. It’s been a roller coaster for me when he passed away. I am hoping joining this group will help me my journey to grieve thru your advices as my fellow widow / widowers. 

7 REPLIES 7
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: I’m a widow

Hello @MariyaB and welcome to our community!

You are most certainly not alone here, you are amongst friends ❤️

Have a look around and get comfy!

-Kate

Cancer Council Online Community Manager

0 Kudos
Annabelle
New Contributor

Hi MariyaB,

Firstly I wanted to say how sorry I am to hear your husband passed away and you are having to bear the responsibility of bringing up the children without him. I am new to the group also.

My husband passed away nearly two months ago from oesophageal cancer after a relatively short and painful eight month battle. I have three young adult children at home with me.

If you don't mind me asking, what sorts of things do you find most challenging? I ask because I have quite a few things and wonder if there may be some challenges that are similar.

0 Kudos
LaurenM
New Contributor

My husband has just been diagnosed with terminal cancer at age 41 and I’m worried about what life is going to be like without him. I’m worried about being a widow and hoping to connect with other people going through the same thing so I don’t feel so alone. 

0 Kudos
Annabelle
New Contributor

Dear LaurenM,

I am so sorry to hear that your very young husband has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. My husband passed away two months ago from oesophageal cancer at age 55. I have three young adult children living at home with me still. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me as there are things that you and your husband can ensure are in place that can significantly ease your burden. It is not an easy thing to do but unfortunately my husband and I did not take that opportunity and it makes the journey significantly tougher. 

You and your dear husband are not alone.

0 Kudos
LaurenM
New Contributor

Thanks for your replying annabelle. I’d be grateful for any advice you have. I’m 30 years old and we do not have any children together. He had his first round of chemo and it knocked him around a lot so he is currently in hospital for at least a week and being in Victoria means I can’t even visit him due to covid and lockdown. It’s all happened so fast it’s just so overwhelming. Nice to know I’m not alone ❤️

0 Kudos
Annabelle
New Contributor

Hi LaurenM,

I am so sorry you can't visit your husband. That's really tough on both of you. I live in South Australia so am not sure of legal requirements in Victoria. I would advice calling a free legal service or getting onto the Australian Government website for basic advice/checklist of things to think about. 

I am happy to answer any questions you may have about the treatment and care too as I had experience of effects of chemo, radio and surgery on my dear husband. Having said that, each journey is different.

I hope your hubby can get home soon.

Take care

0 Kudos
champton
Occasional Contributor

Hi MariyaB

so sorry for yr loss . I lost my husband to cancer 4 months ago now and it’s so difficult adjusting to life without him 
I miss him so much we were together for 35yrs .

i just don’t know if I can do life without him right now 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.