Life and loss .... what to think do or say?

bravesthuman
Occasional Contributor

Life and loss .... what to think do or say?

How does someone reconcile in their own mind the loss of a close relative with the same disease that they themselves are going through?

We lost a very dear family member at the beginning of the week through advanced breast cancer that had metastasized to her liver and her bones. She had been given only 48 hours at best last weekend to live. And she didnt even get that.

How do i work through 1) the guilt that im feeling that she lost her battle and yet here i am having been diagnosed in January with breast cancer and yet i am alive? 2) the thought of death and how haunting it is for me even though im nowhere near it yet and so on and so on.  

Im at a loss now and cannot seem to get past this last week or so emotionally. I know it is not ideal for me in my current health condition but i cant seem to shake what has happened....... thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Life and loss .... what to think do or say?

Sending you hugs @bravesthuman, I am deeply sorry for your loss Smiley Sad

It may seem virtually impossible right now but it will get easier as time goes on. I can't answer the why's or why not's but I am certain your family member would not want you to be feeling guilty Heart

If you want to talk to someone, please do call 13 11 20 and chat to one of our team, they are happy to just listen or assist as best they can.

0 Kudos
WarriorWoman
Visitor

I hear you. I too lost my Partner and my beautiful best friend both within a year.  Not only have I lost my anchor but my whole support network.  My friend was diagnosed within weeks of me and we both were so positive and really did think that we were invincible and we would be the ones to beat the beast  !!

I sat with him as he breathed his last breath and a flood of well hidden emotions just broke free from my body. 

I am now very alone in this and do struggle some days to keep my head above water BUT I hear the words echo in my brain, you got this  !! There are only two options, give up or summon up your inner strength and do it for the Warrior Team 💪

You can do this without guilt because it is your time to shine and believe me, they were some of the last spoken words from my beautiful friend before he closed his eyes.  You can do this xx 

0 Kudos
bravesthuman
Occasional Contributor

Thank you ..... it is all about to start again with radiation coming forth so has the flood of emotions ... the rollercoaster ride.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.