Breast cancer - post op but pre-treatment limbo...

Nic1
Occasional Contributor

Breast cancer - post op but pre-treatment limbo...

Hi, first time poster... first time cancer patient (is that who I am??) Had lumpectomy and sentinel node thingy three weeks ago, then re-excision last week as they ‘did not get everything’) Been feeling depressed, tired and unsure, although prognosis is good, the waiting is driving me slightly crazy... Seeing surgeon this afternoon, then oncologist not sure when, then start treatment (whatever it is, who knows when!!)

Feeling emotional and strange... anyone else here going thru the same? Maybe we can ‘wait’ together!! 

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Unicornsk8tr
Occasional Contributor

Re: Breast cancer - post op but pre-treatment limbo...

I too was recently diagnosed with breast cancer. I've had surgery and see my oncologist on Friday.  It's been 4 weeks since my surgery and the waiting has been hard. I'm not working at the moment either so I'm stuck at home. 

I've been trying to keep myself busy; cleaning the house, making lists of meals I'd like to cook in preparation for my chemo time, organising financial issues, etc. 

But, there's still those moments when the thoughts start to creep in and the worry sets in. Usually as I'm trying to get to sleep, or when I wake up numerous times during the night.

I hope your wait gets easier and you get some news soon.

Best of luck to you

Nic1
Occasional Contributor

Hi, sorry for delayed reply....I went back to work and pretended it wasn’t happening....found out last week that I am up for 20 treatments of radiotherapy including five sessions that are a ‘boost’ targeting the tumour bed...went in for the planning meeting today...

I wasn’t prepared for it mentally, totally fine with the medical stuff, but walking into the ‘Cancer centre,’, past the Cancer Council car, waiting in the radiotherapy waiting area, with the complimentary tea and coffee and the jigsaw puzzles, and the sick looking ladies with scarves, was really confrontational ....so I just sat there with tears in my eyes waiting for my name to be called....

The rest of the session was ok...the tattooing didn’t hurt, the breathing through the snorkel thing uncomfortable etc... even had a good chat with the ladies doing all the positioning etc....but I have been sad all day...this IS real,  no matter how hard you try to distract yourself....

With other stuff happening at home, I’m over being strong right now....I showed my tears to my kids, something I didn’t want to do.....

I start radiotherapy on 2nd April.

Hope you are doing ok and things are moving along.... How did you go with your oncologist? How are you coping?

take care

N

Budgie
Super Contributor

Hi Nic1,

You’re allowed to cry & it’s not a bad thing if it happens in front of your kids. Are they young?  They need to know what’s going on.   It’s a really good idea to talk about it with them.   My eldest sister died from breast cancer 15 years ago now.  She didn’t talk about it with her kids at all.  They knew she was sick, but that’s just “how she was”.   Her eldest son is now in his 30’s & he was badly effected by her death.  He has told me that he wished she had spoken about it.  In fact all of her 5 kids have said the same thing to me.   It was, of course, her decision, but I think it was the wrong one. 

Talking is is one of the best things you can do.   Please take care. 

Budgie

Unicornsk8tr
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
Unicornsk8tr
Occasional Contributor

Hi @Nic1 ,

I'm sorry to hear that it has been a hard and sad road for you.

I've now started chemo. I have 4 rounds of the nasty chemo every 3 weeks and then 3 months of weekly chemo. Followed by 20 rounds of radiotherapy. I have to travel to Perth for Radiotherapy though so have to be away from my family.

I hope you're able to find your peace in all of this. It truly is a hard experience, but one which you will get through and look back on one day.

I have included my children in the majority of my diagnosis and treatment information so far. They are older; 16yrs and 12yrs but I feel they are able to cope with it better knowing what's going on with mum.

Best of luck to you N!! 

Lorie xo

Sylvia1212
New Contributor

Hi! Currently in the same boat. Lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy last week and results were good. Recommendation is chemo followed by radio. I feel the waiting around bit for answers to be worse than the diagnosis itself..and perhaps the same for treatment. Whilst the news can be difficult to accept, I have just tried to have a positive mindset which has helped heaps. Think of it as- the little sucker is out of u and chemo is going to help rid it. All the symptoms we will get from chemo means its doing a good job of wiping out anything else and allowing your body to start fresh. When we get to radio, the light at the end of the tunnel will be clearer than ever! We can do this!

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.