Breast cancer

Aaki1990
Occasional Contributor

Breast cancer

Hi all ,

im 29 yo just had a baby (2 mths old) & got diagnosed today with invasive ductal adenocarcinoma of right breast ...

feeling shocked and waves of depression then back to normal with the baby & his routines ...

anyone else been through this at a young age ?

any words of advice ?

thanks 

9 REPLIES 9
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Breast cancer

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about the cancer, especially so soon after having a new baby.

I hope you are recovering OK.

Sorry, but has anyone been through what at a young age?  Breast cancer at a young age or just cancer at a young age?

I think there are a number of both.

What is the plan now or is it too soon to tell?

What have the doctors advised you?

-s

Carlz9
Occasional Contributor

Hi Aaki1990,

I'm really sorry to hear you're going through this, especially at a time when you should just be enjoying being a mum. I was diagnosed with colon cancer in December, my youngest was 7 months. I was still breastfeeding at the time and had to express before the PET scan and colonoscopy. I would then need to hide so she wouldn't see me and scream for milk direct from the source. It was terrible!

I weaned my daughter before I started chemo and to be honest she seems to be totally unaffected by the whole thing. My Mum has helped a lot and my partner has been so much more hands on then with our oldest. Because he can be, he loves that he can feed her.

On to the actual cancer diagnosis, of course you are in shock and feeling depressed! Do not beat yourself up about this, give yourself time to process. You will have lots of feelings of "I'm too young for this s**t" and it is a bit confronting when you get asked over and over "Do you have any hearing aids? False teeth?" I'm 37 and usually the youngest getting chemo, but the nurses go above and beyond to make me feel comfortable. 

I was given advise at the start by a survivor, he said to only think about the current step, don't think too far ahead. I can't say I've followed this well, but he's right. Every time I've really gotten overwhelmed is when I'm thinking about the long term future. And the fact is what I'm envisioning is not what's going to happen.

I contacted Bowel Cancer Australia and they were so helpful. They also have a buddy program so I have someone to talk to going through a similar experience. Breast Cancer Australia probably has something similar.

When I was diagnosed I felt like I was building my army around me to get ready to go to war. A good Oncologist, surgeon, family, friends, daycare centre, etc, etc.

On the positive, if you can call it that. I am so aware of time now, it is so valuable. Ever minute I spend with my kids, partner, friends is so precious. I make sure I am as available as I can be. Ever when I'm fatigued from chemo I just sit on the ground and let the girls climb all over me and I can not think of a better way to spend my time.

If you want tips and tricks for side effects or what to pack for chemo day or the like, I am more then happy to let you know what works for me.

I wish you all the best with your treatment.

Carly

Lampwork54
Regular Contributor

Hi Aaki,

I'm terribly saddened by your diagnosis.  I can't imagine any worse news.  I can't even imagine going through this with a 2/12 old baby.  Lots of advice already given and absolutely agree with that.  Be kind to yourself.  We're struggling with the Covid-19 lockdown and you're having to deal with this on top of everything else.  

The only thing I could add to the advice already given is ginger water. Cut up ginger and pour boiling water over it.  Let it seep and cool overnight.  Drink it throughout the day.  Helps with nausea and rebalances emotions.  Strengthens you.  You're about to go to war to fight this os you need to be as strong as you can be.  Make sure home is a comfortable and cosy place to fall afterwards.  I hope you have wonderful support and love around you to get through this.  Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.  Will keep you in my thoughts.  Take care and good luck on the road ahead.

Seilien
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have been coping with advanced breast cancer (diagnosed at 26, daughter was 6 months old). I have gone through many scares over the years and I think I have reached the end almost (diagnosed with metastatic brain tumors). I was so so happy to have this short time with my husband and daughter. It is so hard. I want to live for them. I find I feel better to know there are others like me (I know that's sad). Everyday I lay in  bed, not sure what to do now. I say keep trying your best. We live for the living. But I also understand it's a huge strain on those who have cancer too. I want to be optimistic for you and for me. We can only go a day at a time.

0 Kudos
Aaki1990
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot Carly, hope your treatment is going well!?
I’ve started chemotherapy
0 Kudos
Aaki1990
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for all the advice ❤️
0 Kudos
Aaki1990
Occasional Contributor

Hi Seilien,
I am so so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. & yes there are actually many other young women who get breast cancer , I’ve since joined Breast cancer network Aus and realised this. Was your breast cancer type triple negative? All the best and as you said , we can just go a day and a time and never ever give up hope!!
I’ve heard of cases where people were given very poor prognosis and 6 weeks to live etc and are still alive 27 yrs on . Hope is what we have and faith in god ( I’m not super religious but I do believe in god )
0 Kudos
Seilien
Occasional Contributor

I have her2+ and estrogen receptor positive. I don't know too much about my condition (I feel like the drs don't want to give me too much info, they have been evasive).

Everyone is coping in their own way. I have had people yell at me to stay positive and hopeful. Are you getting that? Does it infuriate you?

During this covid crisis, I'm scared to be alone at the hospital. A couple more days until surgery, fingers crossed

0 Kudos
Aaki1990
Occasional Contributor

Hi Seilien ,

I think her2+ and eastrogen + had more treatment options ? Mine is triple Neg which had less options Tc wise except chemo, surgery and radiotherapy then hope it doesn’t return .

yeh people do tell me to stay positive and not to stress ... mostly I know they mean well but it annoys me because it IS a serious thing , facing a deadly disease and feels like they undermine it . I was a stress bot/ worrier but this time I feel I genuinely have the cause to worry lol ... esp my MIL said to me don’t worry too much , that made me v angry . Anyway I’ve reached a point where I ignore everyone and am in my own daze/ space . Some days it’s hard to ignore but yeh.. it’s perfectly normal to feel anxious , cry etc but stay hopeful.

All the best with surgery . covid sucks !! I was in the hospital for 5 days due to fever / neutropenia and hated it , most of all missed my baby . 
Good luck with it all xx take it one day at a time & try not to overthink ( it won’t change anything but also make you upset ). 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.