Breast cancer

Dana99
New Contributor

Breast cancer

I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer 

I was alone when my doctor told me I then went home and phoned what I thought were my very dear and closest friends whom I grew up with since age 7 I’m now 39 

they were just as shocked as I was 

Anyways cutting a long story short they sent me a few get well texts and that was that 

i understand that they have their own life and family 

they completely cut me out of there lives 

I got a email from some of them saying get in touch when your better we just don’t have time to support you 

well I was absolutely heartbroken 😔 my group of 9 close friends didn’t want anything to do with me 

I don’t have any family left they have passed on 

Did anyone else have this happen to them ?

To help me get through my days I go sit on the beach or read or walk in the park I admit it gets lonely 

If anybody out there is going through cancer alone 

drop by and say hi 👋 

nobody should do this alone 

3 REPLIES 3
Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: Breast cancer

Hi @Dana99,

This absolutely happens to an awful lot of people. Relationships go straight to the 'too hard' basket when cancer rears its ugly head. Not all the time - there are some wonderful people who stick by you, no matter what.
Anyway, welcome to this site. You are here now, & there are alot of good people who can offer you advice, lend an ear when you need to download, & you have the opportunity to just write all your frustrations away.
Both of my older sisters were diagnosed with breast cancer before they turned 40, & my mother-in-law was diagnosed a couple of years ago. Cancer is a terrible disease & it's everywhere. There have been alot of advancements made in the treatment of breast cancer though, & the survival rates are good.
Have you decided on your treatment options?

Budgie
0 Kudos
Dana99
New Contributor

Thank you for your lovely message 

how is your family now ? 
I am going in for surgery next week It is only day surgery which I am thankful for my doctor told me I will most likely do some rounds of radiation treatment 

Budgie
Super Contributor

Hi,

My family, well unfortunately my eldest sister died in 2003 after suffering for 11 years with remissions & reoccurences. My second eldest sister has been in remission now for nearly 20 years, & my MIL is doing well too.

I wish you all the best for your coming op & treatments. I'm sure things will go well. Dont forget to ask questions of your treatment team. The only silly question is the one that isn't asked. There are people on this site too, who can help with remedies etc for any side effects you may suffer.

Cheers
Budgie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.