CT scan

gracemaggie17
Occasional Contributor

CT scan

Basically, I havent been diagnosed with cancer yet, but suspicions have been raised by doctors etc. 

I have had a swollen collarbone and neck area, along with an ache pain radiating down to my fingers from the affected area for around 2/3 months, accompanied by sweats, sudden leg weakness, abnormal exhaustion and fatigue and referred pain. the pain is constant and swells like a lump. 

I was referred for CT scan today of my cervical spine, subclavicular, neck and chest. The lady conducting the scan told me they may have to do a scan with no contrast and then one with. I only received the scan with no contrast. she never did a second. does this mean all is clear, in terms of severe problems (cancer, lymphoma, tumour, sarcoma) and its most likely something more minor, since they didn't do the contrast scan or is it the opposite. im having major scanxiety at the moment and any input, whether good or bad would be immensely appreciated!!!! or if anyone has any similar stories, again whether good or bad 🙂 

14 REPLIES 14
gracemaggie17
Occasional Contributor

Re: CT scan

sorry, also to clarify I have experienced shortness or breath and chest pain aswell.  

gracemaggie17
Occasional Contributor

Also there is a lump behind/below collarbone casuing a dull pain, radiating down to fingers constantly. I dont want a diagnosis, just CT scan information. 

sch
Super Contributor

Hi,

In my experience, each time I've needed to have the contrast dye, it's because they haven't been able to see clearly.  I wouldn't read anything into the fact that they didn't administer the dye.  It's generally administered simply because they needed to see more clearly.

Also,  I've found that the determination of your illness is not performed by the person who also does the scan.

That's just my experience. Contract your Doctor for your results.

-sch

gracemaggie17
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, I think i was under impression that dye meant they found something bad, no dye meant they didn’t but thanks for your feedback 🙂
sch
Super Contributor

Hey I'm busting to know. Did you get your results back?

0 Kudos
gracemaggie17
Occasional Contributor

Process is taking so long...  basically CT was fine although have a 16mm lymph node underneath the collarbone, my collarbone is still majorly protruding. Ultrasound couldn’t reach lymph node due to position. Getting another CT and more blood tests to follow up. 

gracemaggie17
Occasional Contributor

CCFB17FB-BD3E-49BE-B67E-6A59A20DE084.jpegThis is a photo, its the actual bone/area. But the lymph node is apparently underneath that.

sch
Super Contributor

Yes, they always take longer than you would hope!

Try to find something else to occupy yourself until the results come in.

I hope you get the results you are hoping for.

-sch

Wegotthis
Frequent Contributor

I hope all is well with you. 

May I ask how did things go 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.