Cancer Newby

Shar92
New Contributor

Cancer Newby

Before I begin, since graduating from High School I always thought to myself that I'd be the one to get cancer. Low and behold, here I am! My name is Shar and I'm 24. In the beginning of May I started feeling unwell. Nothing out of the ordinary, being a teacher I was used to it. But the breathlessness and cough didn't go away. Some weeks passed and I was fed up. Went to the doctors and they told me it was bronchitis. A few weeks down the track and still no improvement. Despite hassling my doctor they brushed it off and treated me like a hypochondriac. I drew the last straw when they told me to come back in a month when the weather warms up. Immediately I switched doctors and they were onto it straight away. On the 7th of September I was diagnosed with Stage 2 Hodgkins Lymphoma. I'm 24. My career was just kicking off. I have a classroom of 29 beautiful children. They were depending on me and I had to leave them behind. It broke my heart but in this situation I know I'm the important one. I have no plans to kick the bucket any time soon. Im going to go down fighting. If not for myself but my 29 kids. They need to know that cancer doesn't have to result in death.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
grrlboiwonder
Occasional Contributor

Re: Cancer Newby

Hello Shar92 - your post brought tears to my eyes but also a smile. I am wondering who else is on this journey/fight with you or if you feel you need more support? I'm a carer, not a sufferer, to someone with cancer, however the heartache and strength in battling this disease is something all of us on here are going through. Hope you find some connections on here and grab any support you feel you need.
0 Kudos
Shar92
New Contributor

I'm glad that in a moment of darkness I could make you smile. I am very fortunate to have a large network of friends around me. My colleagues have been by my side from day one. They have been here for me when my parents cannot. Living over 6 hours away from my parents have put immense strain on their work life however I know they will do anything I need. I'm now half way through my treatment. Chemo is knocking me around a bit but I wont let it stop me. In a few weeks I get to see my year 6 kids graduate and prepare themselves for high school. I'm so looking forward to this. Thank you for reaching out. Stay in touch.
0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Hi Shar, thanks for sharing your story here. I just wanted to post a word of encouragement to you- my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 non Hodgkin's lymphoma (different disease, I know, but similar) five years ago, and today he got home from a cycling trip away with some friends- cycling up and down mountains. (They did Mount Hotham yesterday in the snow!) I know you are facing your own mountain now, but you will get there- your attitude is fanstastic, and you live within one of the best health care systems in the world. Keep in touch and I wish you all the luck in the world. love and hugs, Emily
0 Kudos
HappyDragon
Occasional Contributor

Hi Shar92 you have so much positivity (if there is such a word LOL) which will help immensely - with all the strength heading your way from your 29 special charges you will kick cancers a#@%^. Doesn't it just give you the willies when you are taken for granted - especially when it comes to the medical fraternity - on the right track now - and there are lots of people on here happy to listen and help. Hugs Anne☺
0 Kudos
grrlboiwonder
Occasional Contributor

You were in my thoughts today as I logged back in here after a while. How is everything going?
0 Kudos
Debby
New Contributor

Hi Shar

Just writing to see how you are going? My son who is 32 was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma Stage 4 in October so your posts brought some tears to my eyes. He has had 4 chemo treatments and going for a Pet scan in January to see how the treatment is going. He is so strong and positive. I am the weak one! 

I hope oped things are going well for you.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.