Facing a mastectomy, which reconstruction have you had?

Hyperion
New Contributor

Facing a mastectomy, which reconstruction have you had?

I'm 37, found a small lump in November.  Ultrasound showed it to be small, biopsy = low to intermediate DCIS. Lumpectomy unfortunately turned into 8x4x5cm lump (from a C cup breast!) intermediate with high grade areas, non invasive but with involved margins. So now it's a mastectomy.  I hate surgery,  and want to have reconstruction at the same time. As I'm relatively young I'd prefer my own tissue over an implant.  Has anyone here had a TRAM, DIEP or latissimus dorsi reconstruction? Do you mind sharing your experiences and opinions? Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Facing a mastectomy, which reconstruction have you had?

Hello @Hyperion and welcome to the Online Community!

We have some information available on the surgery sometimes involved with breast cancer, that you may find helpful. We also have a PDF publication that would be worth reading, on Breast Prostheses and Reconstruction.

We also have our Connect program, where we match you with one of our volunteers who has undergone a similar experience or treatment and are now healthy again. They can share their experiences and offer you support by telephone. Please contact (02) 9334-1870 and have a chat with one of our team if this interests you Smiley Happy

Has anyone else undergone a reconstruction or had a similar experience they could share with Hyperion?

Kind Regards,

Kate - Online Community Manager

0 Kudos
Hyperion
New Contributor

Re: Facing a mastectomy, which reconstruction have you had?

Thank you Kate. I've got the reconstruction booklet, which was a huge education and help. I wasn't aware of the connections program - I'll call and use that opportunity. 

I have an appointment with a plastic surgeon in Sydney next week so I'll have to fly up for the day. At least that will give me a narrower selection of choices. They are all scary at the moment,  all have risks and consequences! 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.