Possible lung Cancer

MollyB
Occasional Contributor

Possible lung Cancer

Hello,

I'm new and I think that I might have lung cancer. How am I supposed to keep calm and not worry while waiting for a diagnosis?

For about 6 months, I've had blood in my sputum.....not much, just enough to notice. I guess I hoped it would go away because when it started, it was only happening every now and then... but now it's becoming more frequent.

I have an appointment to see my doctor next week and I've been hoping that it's just a chest infection, although that's not really likely. I have not had a cold or a chest infection for 3-4 years and I do not have a cough, and I know that a chest infection with no other symptoms does not last 6 months. I am 61 yrs old and an ex-smoker of 30+ years. Both my parents and my brother all died from different cancers; all aged between 57 - 63.

So far I've had 3 operations to remove tumours, including breast surgery and a hemicolectomy during which they removed a large part of my bowel. All of which ended up being benign, but then I got skin cancer and needed reconstructive surgery to my face. I know that coughing up blood can be caused by other factors, but I also know that at my age and with my history, the most common cause is lung cancer.

So I ask again. How do you not worry while you're waiting for a diagnosis?

0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Rubes1984
Contributor

Re: Possible lung Cancer

Hi Molly, When u are waiting for a diagnosis thinking and worrying is inevitable. I waited from 20th Feb this yr to 20th April before I got my diagnosis of lung cancer. U are doing the right thing tho, which is going to the Dr and get some tests started. Considering ur history it does increase the risk levels but nothing is ever written in concrete... I am sending u warm wishes and positive vibes, no matter what the cause seeking help is the first step. Good luck Rubes
0 Kudos
MollyB
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Rubes. I've been stewing for days and not sure if I should post or not. Your support means a lot. Thank you.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

Hoping for you that your worst fears aren't realised. If they are it is good that you have already sort online support . You have been a non-smoker for so long that it may not be much of a risk factor now .
0 Kudos
MollyB
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Silly, but I have accidentally misled you. I no longer smoke, but did smoke for 30+ years. I gave it away about 5 years ago. Thank you for your post. I really do I do appreciate the support.
0 Kudos
MollyB
Occasional Contributor

What a long week it has been! I've had lots of blood tests and a chest XRay which was inclusive, so today I've been for a lung CT. I am not trained to read a CT and I should not have looked, but I did ..... now I wonder what that black spot on my CT means. :( The waiting is so much harder than the tests, and now I have to wait another week to wait until I get the results.
0 Kudos
Kasa
New Contributor

Hi Molly Black spots on CT scans are not the thing you worry about. Trust me on that!!!! Don't look at the scans til someone who understands them can take you through them. I had to wait from January to June this year for my lung cancer to be confirmed. I've just finished treatment. So don't worry til they tell you to worry. It doesn't help at all. Hard I know.
0 Kudos
MollyB
Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much Kasa. What you say definitely makes sense and I did know this, but human nature being what it is... I couldn't resist the temptation. Here am I complaining about having to wait a week or two, when you and others have waited months. I'm so sorry for that. The support that I've received here has helped a lot. I do feel better and I'm starting to think that I will be OK no matter the diagnosis, and for that I thank you all. My first ever mammogram detected a lump which eventually proved benign, but not before a full day of unsuccessful biopsies and then surgical removal. Then just 5 years ago I needed a hemicolectomy and lost half my bowel because of a large tumour that also turned out to be benign. Two months later I developed a malignant lesion on my face and needed reconstructive surgery following it's removal. I guess with all of that coming so quickly one after another, I was just feeling despondent about these new symptoms. I go back for my CT results next week and I hope to be able to come back and say goodbye after that. Thank you again. Your support has meant a lot to me.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I hope it turns out to be NOT LUNG CANCER . As you say you're ex-smoker,although having given up 30 years before ,the fear never really goes away . I would think you are no more at risk than anyone who has never smoked . My non-medical opinion only .
0 Kudos
MollyB
Occasional Contributor

Thank you again Silly. I thought I'd be here today to say goodbye, but it looks like I'm here to stay because sadly I got my diagnosis of lung cancer today. I guess I knew in the back of my mind that there was a big chance that it would turn out this way. I didn't seek support for my breast lump, nor when I had a bowel tumour a few years ago but this time I felt I needed it. Now what? I have an appointment in 2 days to arrange a biopsy and chemo. So many questions. It's al a bit over whelming and I don't really know where to start.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.