Hi from a newby

Kylles
New Contributor

Hi from a newby

Hi, I am a 41 year old Mum of 2 (5 & 8 years old)from Cairns QLD. Just 2 long days ago I was diagnosed with Bowel Cancer. I'm bewildered, upset, angry, tired and struggling at the moment.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Deb1960
Occasional Contributor

Re: Hi from a newby

Hi Kylles, Welcome to the mad, crazy world of cancer. It will become easier to deal with later, but you have a long horrid path to travel yet, (Sorry everyone but it is true) we have all (mostly) been on that path and are at various points along it now. Ask questions, vent, cry, do whatever you need to on here, this is a safe place for you to say anything and ask anything. I know that these first few weeks are the hardest to deal with, you have no idea what you are facing yet, let alone how to cope. Try to take it one step at a time and deal with those problems first, easy for me to say, very difficult to do but from my experience the only way I can cope is try to not look too far forward and be in the day. I have stage 4 bowel cancer, not sure if I can be of much help to you but if you want please feel free to send me a private message if there are things you want to ask. You will find lots of people on this site who can offer lots of ideas and thoughts. best wishes for you and your family Deb
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

Wise words from Deb.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

Wise words from Deb.
0 Kudos
butterfly5
New Contributor

such a wonderful forum to support and care for each otherxx
0 Kudos
Stace
Contributor

Hi There I am a 30 year old mother of two who has been diagnosed with bowel cancer aswell, i was stage 3, i had 6 weeks of continuous chemo and radiotherapy in july/aug/sept last yr, then the major operation to remove the tumour & lymph nodes in October, then more chemo to follow, i finally finished that in april this year and had the stoma reversal done in June. It was a hard path to have to walk down and it is even harder with young children my kids are 2 & 4 so dont really understand but i drew strength from them, tried to hold my head high. I managed to get through the treatment and operations and now i look back i think how did i do that! I wish you all the very best for your journey, if i can be of any help to you please just ask, it is hard but with a loving support network and beautiful children by your side you can do this!! Take care & all the best of luck Kind regards Stacey
0 Kudos
storm
Contributor

Hi Kylles Just Hi and huge hugs (if that is OK for you). One of the better sides you can get to talk with some amazing people on this site Geoff
0 Kudos
Kylles
New Contributor

Thanks for the greetings. I've since found out a little more info after the CT and MRI. I will have a colonography the day after tomorrow as the CT images weren't very clear. At this stage the cancer is confined to the lower rectum and is in a few of the nodes. I'm scheduled for surgery on the 25th and will be having a lower rectal resection. I've been doing a lot of reading and a lot of talking to others who have been in a similar position. Had a counseling session and I am doing ok. Just starting to get a little nervey about the surgery as the date gets closer.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.