Kidney Cancer Stages Vs Grades

BlueWren
New Contributor

Re: Kidney Cancer Stages Vs Grades

Great to hear the healing is going well and you are back exercising! When that happens you know you are heading in the right direction! Wonderful too that your scans are showing you are cancer free! Time for a celebration by the sounds of it! 😊

Budgie
Super Contributor

Absolutely fabulous news! 😁
sch
Super Contributor

Hi AlfHam,

Congratulations on the results!

-s

AlfHam
Contributor

Just a little progress update...

According to my GP, my sore back was likely to be...drum roll...a sore back.

I've got my first post op Ultrasound booked for the start of December, so starting to worry about those results even though there is nothing I can do, and a fairly good chance they should be clear. But I just need to get used to it...this is going to be something I do every six months hopefully for a very long time.

In other news, I played football (soccer) for the first time since my op last night. Today is exactly 5 months since my op. I felt I had to go back and give it a go. I haven't been running or jogging yet, so I was a bit worried. It was strange to be running, bits were jiggling about that haven't jiggled for a while

I didn't run anywhere near as much as I used to, but I did OK. I didn't do any 100% flat out runs, but definitely did some medium pace runs, and was jogging around a lot. I play in an over-45 social game. We play 7-a-side on grass across half a full pitch. Two x 40 minute halves. There's a lot of ground to cover and it's a long game. My feet and knees were sore to begin with, and my back was a bit stiff, but it eased off and I was OK. I made sure I had plenty of water before, half time and after the game.

The morning after I can honestly say there is not a muscle in my body that isn't in agony! It's a good feeling though. It's down to effort and use rather than anything I need to worry about. No blood in my urine either, so I'm confident I haven't burst anything internally ether. I'm going to try and go back weekly if I feel up to it. I'm not back 100% fit, but I'm improving every week. This was a big step for me.

The partial nephrectomy was major surgery, but you can get back to where you were before the op. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm not far off it and I'm optimistic about progressing further (check ups going well of course!)

Budgie
Super Contributor

I'm pleased for you @AlfHam. Its wonderful that you're getting so much better. Keep at it & try not to worry about the next scan. I know there will always be that apprehension that the cancer has come back, but as long as you're doing the scans every 6 months, you'll be able to stay ontop of it, & catch it early if it does return.
All the best 🙂

Budgie
AlfHam
Contributor

Another little progress update...

This week I had my first 6 monthly surveillance check. Abdominal and Kidney/Bladder function ultrasound

I wasn't expecting any spread...I had a FDG PET scan only a few month ago, so it's early days...but it was still a relief to hear there was no sign of any tumours in either kidney, liver, gallblader, bladder or prostate.

Now I'll try and push cancer to the back of my mind and set a reminder for 5.5 months time and start worrying around the time of my CT scan!

I've been walking, playing barefoot bowls, playing golf, gardening, and trying to push myself at the football...I didn't score any goals this week, but had two assists, so fitness is still increasing (and every joint and muscle still aches the next day!)

The scan results still don't mean I don't wonder if every cough is spread to my lungs, or a pain in my ribs is spread to my bones (rather than where the foot ball hit me or where I got an elbow from an opposition player,) but this is all part of life post op. There's a chance it might come back, but a decent chance it won't so I'm getting on with life, and will stick to my surveillance schedule religiously.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.