Lenvatinib targeted chemo for Thyroid cancer

John58
New Contributor

Lenvatinib targeted chemo for Thyroid cancer

Hi, I've been on Lenvatinib (24mg) for thyroid cancer in my lungs now for 6 weeks. Following radiation therapy and the attendant fried throat, this drug has reactivated all that pain and has me eating with very small mouthfuls and a sip of water in order to get it down. 

Does anyone else have any experience with this drug?>

3 REPLIES 3
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Lenvatinib targeted chemo for Thyroid cancer

Hi John58,

Sorry, but I don't have any personal experience with Lenvatinib  or thryroid cancer, but the cancer council does have a booklet on thyroid cancer. (if you haven't already seen it)

https://www.cancer.org.au/assets/pdf/understanding-thyroid-cancer-booklet

How are you feeling?

How are you going with side effects?

When is your next check up?

Maybe this site might be of some help as fas as side effects are going.

https://chemocare.com/chemotherapy/drug-info/lenvatinib.aspx

0 Kudos
John58
New Contributor

Hi Sch,

I think I've read almost everything I can find about thyroid cancer and really don't want to read anymore 😉. Yes I've perused everything on the cancer.org site.

I finished my radiation treatment at end Jan 21 and subsequent throat issues peaked mid Feb and finally got me to a stage where I could swallow my own spit again and contemplate something with substance by the last week of April. I started Lenvatinib that same week and it reactivated my throat and by week one of May I could again barely swallow. That started to improve last week and finally today i've had a bacon sandwich with a minimum of fuss. So as to how I'm feeling, being so central to everything, as my throat has improved so has my general well being. Today I feel great but I need to watch that and not try to go back to my old self and work in the yard all day, have a couple of beers, get up at 5am and work again... for the foreseeable future I think I'll have to take it all very easy.

My next scan is scheduled for Wednesday week and hopefully it'll show no further growth or best hope a reduction.

I'm really surprised that there is so much info about this drug out there but seemingly no experiences anyone wants to share...

Thanks for the questions.. its quiet cathartic actually "spilling" on a site dedicated to cancer..

Cheers

John

sch
Super Contributor

Hi John,

As far as peoples experiences with lenvatinib go, according to wikipedia, lenvatinib was only approved for use 5 or 6 years ago, so that is quite recent in the scheme of things.  I have no idea how many have had it, but I guess it's relatively recent use for the treatment of thyroid cancer I guess would limit how many people have used it so far.

You're right about the community. We might not have had your treatment and your cancer, but we can certainly relate still.

Look forward to hearing more about your treatment.

-sch

PS. How good was that bacon sandwich??

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.