Lung Cancer

Kiplin4387
New Contributor

Lung Cancer

74 years old, male, I had a lung cancer screening done by the VA several weeks ago.  The VA doctor called and told me I had a nodule in my left lung and I would need a PET scan.  The VA can take what seems forever to get you help so I went to my family doctor and she immediately ordered the PET Scan and did that last Thursday and was seen by the lung doctor yesterday (Friday) and he showed me that the spot on the lung was glowing RED and the scan also shows several spots on the Right Side Kidney.  He is referring me to the Oncology department at our local hospital and I am waiting for them to call me with an appointment... The Lung doctor told the Oncology folks that he also wants an MRI of my brain.  

Looks like my cancer is far enough that surgery is not going to be an option and as of now I have no prognosis.  

Not feeling angry really and I think I am at peace knowing I won't have much time but the sadness of not being here for my Bride of 55 years is emotionally killing me.

Is it normal to feel sick to your stomach and to feel so much sadness and emotional distress?

7 REPLIES 7
Kiplin4387
New Contributor

Re: Lung Cancer

Sorry everyone... I just noticed I am in the wrong place...  I live in the USA

LindaG
Regular Contributor

Hi Kiplin4387, yes you are completely normal feeling distressed, especially when you first get the cancer diagnosis. And it’s so hard to see your family upset. My husband cried with the news of my cancer and thats not normal for him. Anyway it can draw your family even closer as it did with us. You still need to get your proper diagnosis so try and wait till that happens and maybe something can be done for you. There’s so many treatments that may be possible for you. Love and prayers for you. 💕 Linda G.   ps I don’t think it matters that you’re from the US, it seems like there are a lot of different nationalities on this site. We all just support one another 

Wegotthis
Frequent Contributor

Hey my friend. 

Sorry to hear about your health. 

First t I want to thank you for your service ❤

Also cancer has no borders. Im also in the USA.  Im actually in Vallejo Ca. 

I really wish I could say I been married to my wife for 55 years but I'm only 55 🙂

As a husband I do understand you being worried about your wife. I was a married father before I was 20. But unfortunately I wasn't a good husband . 

Fortunately I  changed and meet my wife  22 years ago. Together we raised our 4 children to become amazing young adults . We now have 4 grandchildren. 

When I told our oldest son about me having cancer his first reply was that it doesn't change anything. My wife isn't hs birth mom. 

But he was only 13 when I met her. We don't have step children. He loves her as much as he does me.

He is more than ready to take my role as the head of my family. If I die from cancer or a a car accident my wife will be taking care of. 

When we found out that I have lymphoma the only thing I asked my wife to do was please don't cry in front of me. I can't handle seeing my wife and family crying. I'm pretty hard core but I'm weak when it comes to my family crying. 

Stay positive. Even if your doctor tells you that you only have months or a year left. 

What branch did you serve with? 

Do you and your wife have children and grandchildren? 

WEGOTTHIS!!!

Kiplin4387
New Contributor

Linda G, thank you for your post...  and support.

Kiplin4387
New Contributor

WEGOTTHIS, thank you for your reply.

Small world it is.  The wife and I were born and raised in Redding, CA.

I served in the US Army for 20 years; joined on my 17th birthday and retired from the Army in 1984.  My second career was working for Shasta County Probation there in Redding working with juveniles.

We left California in 2012 and spent a few years in Tennessee and then on to Oklahoma to live close to our oldest daughter.  She is our only close family member most live in Tennessee.  We were blessed with two daughters and three grandkids and so far three great-grandkids.

Wegotthis
Frequent Contributor

Lol.....small world for sure. 

My mom and dad are from OK. Most of my mom side of family is still in Lawton. 

I love being a grandfather but I would love to see great grandchildren.  But not anytime soon. Our oldest granddaughter is only 17.

Wr are hoping she comes to live with us while she goes to college. 

Thanks again for giving us 20 years of service. 

Funny that you mentioned Redding. I was looking to retire and move out that way. 

Because of my health early retirement isn't going to happen anytime soon.  I'm only 55 but I have no desire to work more than 5-6 more years 😁

Happycat
Occasional Visitor

I am sorry to say that the VA missed my father's lug cancer, causing delay in treatment. His doctor pulled the lung x-ray, showed my dad there was nothing visible and stated the equipment was out of date. He had gone to our small town hospital and they caught it. Dad passed away before I had read these things, but if I had it to do over again, I would have him taking lactoferrin supplement, eating a few apricot seeds a day, and try the fendbendazole (dog de wormer) plan Joe Tippens swears saved his life.  Maybe it is all snake oil, but what is to be lost if the standard protocol isn't working?

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.