Lung cancer.

Nova4545
New Contributor

Lung cancer.

I feel like theres no place for me here, but I'm going to post this anyways. It's a bit long but I will try to keep it short an sweet.

Back at the begging of October 2019 I started feeling extremely tired all the tired all the time, I developed a chronic cough that had only gotten worse, my voice is horse all the time, it hurts to breath when I wake up, I began to become nauseous and just lost my appetite all together somedays. When I was weighted in September 2019 I weighted 289 pounds. By the end of October I was down to 230 pounds.

I went to my doctor and they did a Chest CT on November 21 2019, and found a 4mm nodule in the anterior right mid lung field. And nothing else. They said we would watch and wait. I have continued to loose weight although due to medical marijuana this time I'm still eatting. I'm now down to 190 pounds.

They recently repeated the chest CT and they noted very mild changed in the nodule but now the chest CT also showes a few conspicuous mediastinal lymph nodes and a couple appearing to be larger then the previous CT scan. My blood work also points at possible lung cancer. The VA is sending me to a pulmonologist but now I'm yet again playing the governments waiting game. I'm scared.

Recently in the last few days I have had a couple odd symptoms show up, one being a odd rash and the other is that yesterday all the lymphnodes on the right side of my neck swelled up and feel hard. They also dont move or hurt. And lately I'm getting headaches all the time.

I'm not really sure what I expect posting this here, maybe it's a sounding board because I dont want to tell anyone yet. I dont want to worry anyone till I know for sure, but as in type that a small voice keeps saying that I already know. I just feel very alone right now because I want to protect my family, I dont want to tell them any bad news or anything that makes them worry. 

7 REPLIES 7
Lampwork54
Regular Contributor

Re: Lung cancer.

Hi Nova,

It sounds terrible.  I am so sorry.  I hope you get news soon - good or bad - so that you at least know for sure what's going to happen and why you have all these symptoms.  

You're in that very lonely spot of not telling anyone about your fears just yet until you have to.  It's a bad place to be, but I hope you come through this.  

Everyone here is battling with fear, pain, the unknown and the repercussions of each diagnosis.  There is a space for you too.  It's a good place with many people willing and able to help you through this and listen to your story.

I will keep you in my thoughts and hope that you have news for us soon so we can know how you are doing.

Best wishes to you.

Tippets
New Contributor

Hi Nova4545,

it is very worrying playing the waiting game and believing time may be running out. If you are powerless to speed up the medical professionals then perhaps try to take the power back into your hands, look at alternative medicines and foods that may help. A friend recommended B17 injections can kill off cancer cells, check it out.

I have recently been following Dr Lori Shemek on twitter (@LoriShemek) if have found her inspirational for knowledge about health and diet and simple things I can do to effect change in my own health. What I'm trying to say is don't just play the waiting game and becoming more anxious daily do something proactive so you can be in the best physical and mental shape you can be. All the best on your journey - you never know what you will find on the way. Love and a big hug. xxx Tippets

Iyana271
Contributor

I just wanted to know since last time you got into such condition and after the results of CT scan did your doctor give you any medications so that you can feel any better?

I hope that if there is anything serious you'll get an early diagnosis so that you can get the best treatment.

Think positively and positive will happen.

Best Wishes!

0 Kudos
Nova4545
New Contributor

No, the ,v,a didnt give me anything to feel better. The VA doesnt care about veterans. It's all good though. 

0 Kudos
JackBnimble

Hello. So sorry for your condition. I have mouth cancer and have been asking for  an operation for  a month. Finally, I got one in March. Apparently, you're a veteran and so am I. If you can afford it, or have good  insurance I would go to the Internet and find the best hospital for treating lung cancer. I don't think the VA is the best place for this. Or ask your family doctor, if you have one. In any case, I'm praying for you.

Nova4545
New Contributor

I'm sorry to hear your also having issues with the VA. Seems to be a trend. I have no other insurance all I have is the VA. So I will keep making alot of noise until they hear me. I will keep going to civilian hospitals and make them pay the Bill's until they do their job. I'm never giving up. I have a huge future ahead of me and I wont let the VA take that away

Budgie
Super Contributor

We are lucky in Australia, in the fact that our VA will issue anyone who served with a white card, if they have cancer. This covers them for all medical expenses caused by cancer. It's a non-liability cover, but it's been a Godsend to me.

Budgie
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.