New to site

Gem1963
New Contributor

New to site

Hi guys, I've got no doubt this is not everyone's first choice of website to be on. Anyway, my name is Gemma and I have just been diagnosed with lung cancer (2 lesions in the left lung). I was planning my 60th birthday in January but I guess that is not happening right now. Still feeling overwhelmed, living remote WA is not helping. Not going to hospital for another 10 days and just wondering how everyone copes (or not). I have a husband who is probably caring TOO much!

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Re: New to site

Hi Gemma, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I was diagnosed January 2021 with non Hodgkin’s lymphoma and had 6 months of chemo treatment which was successful. Hallelujah! The initial diagnosis gave me extreme anxiety which only went away once treatment began. I couldn’t control it at all. It seems to be normal for most of us to feel overwhelmed. Do you have to come to Perth for treatment? Better to have a caring husband that not!! My husband was my support person throughout it all and he was amazing! If you need to talk to someone you can always ring the cancer council for support. They are really good. Take care  🙏💕 Linda G

0 Kudos
Debbie1957
Occasional Contributor

Hi Gemma,

I'm so sorry for you.  I had a pleurl effusion that had to be drained last week.  Yesterday found out that the path found 2 cancer cells in the fluid.  I think I'm still in shock.  Waiting for call from cancer center for an appt but it's now 5 pm so I hope they call tomorrow.  I feel so alone even tho my hubby has been very caring.  Like I fell into a pit and can't get out.  My thoughts are all over the place and from what I read it appears that this particular lung cancer doesn't sound too promising for a long life.  I'm not ready to die and I need somebody to talk to as well.  I know I'm rambling but that's just how my thoughts have been since I found this out yesterday.    Debbie

0 Kudos
Gem1963
New Contributor

Thanks Linda, yes I am going to be admitted to hospital in Perth on the 9th August. I think I will be stressed and anxious until then. My husband is more stressed than me (I think) but, like everyone else, we will get through this together. Good luck to you, take care x

0 Kudos
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Hi Gem, hope you can get through the next days ok until you come to hospital. I’m sure you will be well looked after. My medical team were just so kind and made a bad situation a bit easier to cope with. 🙏💕 Linda 

Debbie1957
Occasional Contributor

Wondering how you are doing.  I have a biopsy appointment on Friday.  So afraid of what they will find.  I just retired age 65.  Had so many plans for this summer but not this.  I am still very sad and scared.  Dr said they can't operate because tumor went into pluerl fluid so I await the verdict of chemo and radiation.  I pray daily for a miracle.  Prayers to you

0 Kudos
Gem1963
New Contributor

Oh I hope everything goes okay with the biopsy. It's funny (not) how quickly life plans can change. I'm in the  middle of renovating and was hoping to move soon but now all plans are on hold pending the outcome of next week.  The hardest part for me is the waiting and just not knowing what is going to happen. Thoughts and prayers are with you for tomorrow.

0 Kudos
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Hi Debbie. All the best for tomorrow. When I got my diagnosis our plan for that year was to finally be able to travel in our caravan. I’d just finished looking after my beautiful mum for 2 years and then she passed away so we were free. Or so I thought!!! So all are plans are just so tentative as you never know what will happen from one moment to the next. I’m now grateful to just be alive🙏💕Linda 

0 Kudos
Debbie1957
Occasional Contributor

Bioposy results on Thursday. Dr. said bhronical tubes look ok but that's all I know. They took out a liter of fluid and just had community nurse in today and took out 400 cm more fluid. My side hurts now. I know what you mean about plans. I retired 6/1 and was going to get caught up on all the yard work and get rid of lots of stuff inside that accumulated thru the years. Not much energy for outdoor work. A little here and there as my energy permits. I've filled over 20 garbage bags of clothes, shoes, purses, pillows, blankets, etc. that all went to Goodwill. Still have to go thru my fabrics (quilting) and get rid of some I'll never use anymore. My storage room has crockpots, dishes, etc. that I'm going to get rid of as well. Lookiing for my grandma's silver ware to take to an antique shop. My girls don't want it so I might as well make a buck on it to help pay for all the bills that will be coming in. Went thru all my jewelry and getting rid of 3/4's of it that I have no use for since I retired. I only kept things I liked or that are of value. So much to do. Working on finishing a Monet water lily quilt that I started 2 yrs ago. It can be a keepsake for my daughters (in case my time is short). I told my husband last night at bedtime that "I AM NOT! LEAVING YOU! I'M GOING TO BEAT THIS ! Trying to get into an anger phase to build up my hope and attitude. Crying isn't going to help but I've done plenty of that in the last few days. Now all 3 of my daughters know and they are very supportive and caring and loving. You don't realize how much they really love you when everyone is busy with day to day stuff. They are all great girls - always were good kids , so I did something right. Having them saying prayers over me means a lot. Best to you Linda.
0 Kudos
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Hi Debbie, wow you’re amazing going through all your possessions and getting rid of so much. Well done! Sounds like you have a lovely family around you so that’s a blessing. I recently finished a cross stitch that I’d been working on for years thinking I had all the time in the world to finish it. Suddenly I thought I’d better finish it in case I don’t! Also last year after I finished chemo we packed our caravan and headed north for 6 weeks and after 10 days I had a heart attack and had to be flown back home! My poor husband had to pack up and drive for 13 hours to get to me. So, life is totally unpredictable 😢. You are surrounded by your loved ones and good medical staff so that’s something to be grateful for. May God give you peace  🙏💕 Linda 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.