Secondary brain tumor after breast cancer

Seilien
Occasional Contributor

Secondary brain tumor after breast cancer

I am beyond upset. I was diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer in 2018. My daughter was only 6 months old as I received treatments and surgeries. I was just diagnosed with several brain tumors. I do not know what to do or feel. The grief is immense. Has anyone else who is under 30 with a young child gotten through this? Is there anything i can do for my husband and 2 year old?

The current plan is brain surgery then gamma knife radiation.  I think i have accepted the inevitable but i worry for my family.

5 REPLIES 5
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Secondary brain tumor after breast cancer

Hi @Seilien and welcome to our community,

Sorry to hear you've had a secondary diagnosis, have they given you any kind of timeframe for the surgery and radiation?

I am going to recommend you take a look at our podcasts here. There are some that might resonate with yourself, as well as some that might be good for your husband to listen to, such as this one about cancer affecting the carer too. You may also like to listen to this one about family dynamics and how relationships can change.

-Kate

0 Kudos
Nas
Occasional Contributor

Hi Sielien,

I know exactly how you feel. I have stage IV lung cancer with NET and also have a 6yr, 4yr and 7 month old kids. I know what you are thinking and it’s not fair. I am here if you want to privately chat and share any experiences, feelings or if you want to just vent. I am trying to live life as best I can staying “positive” but being trapped at home whilst your a ticking time bomb doesn’t help. 

I was diagnosed only earlier this year and decided to create birthday cards for every year up until 18, I did videos and recorded their wedding speeches as well as some wedding anniversary and Valentine’s Day videos for my wife (yes I’m a sucker for Valentine’s Day). It’s up to you how much you do but it made me feel better. It can be emotional but it’s nice for them to have something to watch IF things don’t go your way. You just need a close friend to help with video and card distribution. 

please reach out if I can help at all. 

0 Kudos
Seilien
Occasional Contributor

how did you do so much? I couldn't stop crying or prevent the hopeless feeling .

I just finished surgery and the terrible anxiety is eating at me. How do you have the energy?

0 Kudos
Nas
Occasional Contributor

Oh it was not easy and your feelings and being overwhelmed is completely normal and understandable. You do what you can in your own time. Do not compare, do not put any extra pressure on yourself.  You should most certainly though reach out to anyone that can help you if it's something you want to do. 

First things first is to focus on regaining your energy levels and try and stablise and then worry about anything else. 

Cry as much as you want, let it all out. you are only human. Facing this is difficult, if you have anyone you can lean on now is the time, if you don't their are many professional services that can help. Even you being on this online forum is a great start. I am always here if you respond i will too. If you don't it's ok too. 

The human body can do amazing things if you allow it to, be as strong as possible and push just a little more. We are all here to help each other. 

0 Kudos
Seilien
Occasional Contributor

I'm not feeling myself after surgery. A little emotionless, catatonic.

Is this part of surgery recovery? I feel no motivation, no pleasure from thing that used to make me happy.

Will I return to who I once was? Anyone else having anxiety,trouble sleeping, feel different?

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.