Should I under go Stem Cell Transplant or NOT

New Contributor

Should I under go Stem Cell Transplant or NOT

HI

In 2009 I was diagnosed with Stage IV Lymphoma.  I had an ABVD chemo in 2009 and then a Bone Marror Transplant (BMT) in 2012.  I handled ABVD well, but BMT knocked me around.  I have to give up my lucrative professional practice, due to cancer and betrayl by my business partners.  For about 18 months I suffered with deep depression.  Howver, since then I had best time of my life.  I have seen my both kids complete school.  One in the final year of university and other in the first year.

About two months ago, I was diagnosed with Myelodysplasia (side effect of intensive chemo in 2012).  Now I am told that I have 1.6 years, if I am untreated. 5.5 years if I undergo highly risky Allogeniec Stem Cell Transplant.

I am thinking is it worthwhile going through the Allogeniec Stem Cell Transplant.  Any advice?

1 REPLY 1
Cancer Council Team

Re: Should I under go Stem Cell Transplant or NOT

Hi @Mani!

How have you been doing the past few weeks?

I'm not sure if you've made a decision regarding your treatment as yet, but here's a few places that have a bit more information about Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplants:

You may find our podcast on Making Treatment Decisions helpful as well.

Has anyone else here had experience with stem cell transplants? Or perhaps a family member or friend has?

-Kate

Online Community Manager

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.