Surgery fear

Jubbly
Occasional Contributor

Surgery fear

I have a date for surgery. 9 sleeps 😳. I am scared witless! I was keeping it together pretty well, but today - oh my goodness. I'm shaking, crying, can't walk in a straight line, it's hard to breath and I can not see reason ( my husbands words). Is it anxiety? I'm freaking out people, sorry but I don't have anyone to blurt this out to.

12 REPLIES 12
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Surgery fear

Hi Jubbly,

Sounds like anxiety to me. I think it's pretty normal.

I was quite anxious one or two weeks out from surgery. I was questioning if having surgery was really that good an idea. Perhaps I should cancel it?

There was no logic to my thoughts, but just anxiety around how huge this situation was.

What helped was talking about it with my partner and medical professionals. Perhaps the cancer cancer helpline can help you with this.

What surgery are you having if you don't mind me asking?

Oh, and good luck!!

-s

Jubbly
Occasional Contributor

Hi S,

I am having a lesion/growth removed from behind my oesophagus.  They don't know what type it is yet bec they haven't been able to do a biopsy. If they can't get it out, I will go back and they will remove the oesophagus too. 

I used to be able to talk about it all like it was happening to someone else, but as they day approaches I find that I can't do that

Jubbly

sch
Super Contributor

Hi Jubbly,

Yes, I think that, emotionally, these sort of traumatic events get harder to deal with over time.

What has worked for me when dealing with trauma is to talk about it. Find a therapist or a reliable friend (husband?) and talk about what is happening.

As the surgery time approaches you will get anxious. I think that everybody does this.

But know that you are in good hands.

-sch

Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

Hi Jubbly,

I firmly believe your surgery anxiety is a manifestation of the unknown. It’s like your first day at school, first day at a new job, first date. They’re all a bit scary,  until it’s done & dusted. These surgeons do it day in and day out, but for you it’s an unknown result unknown experience in an unfamiliar environment. Very very scary.

keep us updated with dates and results. Your not alone, we are here, thinking about you & your family, holding your hand all the way.

I won’t wish you good luck, you don’t need it. Everything is going to be fine.

take care.....Lindsay (pNETs patient)

Jubbly
Occasional Contributor

Hi Lindsay, 

thanks for your plain talk. You are right of course, and thankyou for reminding me that I can talk to this group anytime. 😎

Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

Yep, that’s for sure, Jubbly. We are here for one another, a shoulder to cry on, or a laugh at the never ending ridiculous things that pop up, from time to time, for cancer patients.

Take care & don’t worry.

Youssef
New Contributor

Your feelings are valid and yes most likely anxiety. I have been diagnosed with thyroid cancer and I'm still processing it. It's not something that has handbook as to how to react and everyone is different. Be true to yourself and remember that you live in best country in the best time in history. Knowledge and technology about and for cancer is the best it ever been. Best of luck and I hope you get the best treatment ever.
Tippets
New Contributor

Hello Jubbly,

when I read your post I had a little smile.. it seemed like you could be the one performing the surgery in 9 sleeps time.... If you are, then I too would be scared witless. LOL. But I assume you are about to be the patient who has a great surgeon who knows exactly what he is doing. The sooner it is out the quicker you can move on to the next step... getting on with the rest of your life. I had surgery last month. I was lucky my surgeon had a cancellation and moved me forward by 5 days. The waiting and the anxiety and the fear of the unknown the negative thoughts "what if" the positive ones "I can beat this" and everything in between. Sometimes it just feels like you are on a rollercoaster ride and you are in the front seat. We are the lucky ones, please don't worry about the things you are powerless to change. I have a good feeling that you are going to be just fine. Big hug and lots of love I'm sending to you. XXX

sch
Super Contributor

Hi Jubbly,

How are you?

Have you had your surgery yet?

If so, how did it go?

-s

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.