Very newly diagnosed with bowel cancel

Itshappeningtom
Not applicable

Very newly diagnosed with bowel cancel

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with bowel cancer. I am 38 married with three children. It's day 3 since my colonoscopy, feeling lost, devistation and fear for my kids and husband. I have no idea if it has spread or at what stage it is at, I will find this out Tuesday. Dr said it has been there around 6 months. Surgery in Brisbane hopefully very soon. I would so love to hear from anyone going through this or who has been through this or even anyone who knows anything about what I am about to face. Thanks for reading my post
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
lawman
Occasional Contributor

Re: Very newly diagnosed with bowel cancel

Hi. Sorry to hear of your condition. Be strong. There's not a lot that I can say, other than this is 2016 -- not 1896. We live in modern times, with modern answers. All of us here share hope for your/our speedy recovery. I'm sending you best wishes and special thoughts. I hope you get an answer to your post. Warmly, George.
0 Kudos
katman2
New Contributor

Hi, sorry you are going thru this, but maybe my story might help. 18 months ago I was a fit 66 year old, used to either walk or run at least 10 ks every day. Then I was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer. All sorts of thoughts go thru your head, I know that I thought that my days were coming to an early end. So to the treatment part of my story, first I had a bowel resection, luckily no colostomy bag. Then I had 4 rounds of chemo, not the nicest thing to go thru but needed. As the mets had spread to my liver, I then had to have a liver resection, which meant that I lost half my liver. That operation was very hard to recover from but my thoughts were that tomorrow I will feel better than today. Another 4 rounds of chemo that ended last December. Tomorrow I will have a ct scan to see what happens next. My thinking is that a diagnosis of cancer is not an automatic death sentence, if you think positive you have a better chance of getting thru . As for me, I now walk at least 8 ks every day, I feel just as good as before the cancer and am hopeful that I, with the great medical and nursing help that I had will have a few more years on this planet. Keep positive and keep writing your blogs, I would like to know how you get on. Cheers Dave
0 Kudos
Stace
Contributor

Hi there I was 29 almost 30 with two small children when i was diagnosed with stage 3 bowel cancer, that was in 2010.The year ahead was taken up with a move to Perth as we live in the country and firsty starting a six week treatment plan of both radiotherapy and chemotherapy, then i had a break for six weeks and then had a bowel resection, i ended up with a temporary colostomy bag, then headed into six months of chemotherapy. It was tiring i will admit that i felt pretty ordinary, very moody and just depressed that it was happening to me, but i have come out of it the other side i am am eternally grateful to my surgeon, oncologist and everyone else involved with my treatment over that time. I am coming up to my 5 year visit with my oncologist and hopefully this will be it, daunting all the same but also very exciting. I just wanted to wish you all the very best over the next few weeks, i found the waiting and not knowing worse than anything else, i just wanted to know what was going on, how we were going to get rid of it and i wanted to do something straight away! Bowel cancer is very treatable, please stay positive you can beat this bastard of a thing! Best wishes Stacey
0 Kudos
Monty03
Not applicable

Hello, Im 53 diagnosed October 2015 had colonoscopy 6 weeks after, bowel recetion surgery 2 weeks after. I was in hospital for 13 days had to wait until the bowel woke up. Apparently its common that the bowel can go to sleep its called ileus. Found out it when to my liver so had 6 treatments of chemo, not the greates as it plays up with your nerves and you cant touch anything cold or drink cold drinks for around 4 days, then all comes good. Also moods change really quickly, and this has caused possibly a breakup of relationship with my girlfriend its very disappointing as she has been great support until now. It can be really stressful on partners. So now Im going in for a scan next week and then possibly surgery again, so thats my story so far. Emotionally its very hard because you dont know what the future is going to be.But Im just putting my trust in my doctors and getting counselling which really helps. All that I can say just be strong and try to be positive and rely on people that support you.
0 Kudos
Ron50
Contributor

My best wishes to each of you going thru treatment for colon cancer. I was diagnosed with an aggressive stage 3 c tumour into 6 of 13 nodes. My surgeon and onc did not give me much chance for survival  . I was 48 at dx . I went thru surgery and 48 sessions of chemo over nearly a year. I am now 66 and nearly at the end of year 19 of survival still cancer free. 22nd of Jan I start year 20. My best wishes to you all ,survivors caregivers , friends and family. Surviving survival is not always easy but it beats the options. Ron.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.