What would you do?

JayDeane

What would you do?

Hi I wanted to know what you would do in a situation like this, or what are your thoughts. Thanks

My sister (age: 51) had prolonged bleeding (periods?) and contacted a gynacologist who, after various tests, suggested removal of a fibroid that had grown/developed and said that the fibroid was the issue and it's removal will resolve the problem and that there was nothing to worry about. Upon non-invasive removal of the fibroid and further histopath analysis, she said cancer cells had been detected and Cancer FIGO Grade 3 was diagnosed. This hit our family hard. Then the gynacologist contacted a close relative of ours and told the relative that the patient (i.e - my sister) has cancer and needs to address the issue. Is this allowed? Under what circumstance can a doctor inform a relative of a patient's condition?

Long story short, we sought a second opinion (and third) and eventually my sister had to undergo a further surgery with a surgical oncologist and the entire uterus and ovaries were removed and along with that there was also a pretty large tumour within the uterus area that was also removed.

With the above information, what would you do, if anything?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Wegotthis
Frequent Contributor

Re: What would you do?

Sorry your family is going through this. 

To answer your question about is it ok to contact someone about your sister health. 

Its my understanding that it's only allowed if there is a sign letter saying it ok to share with  someone who has been named in the letter of concrete. 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.