mastectomy no implants or implants

elle1948
Occasional Visitor

mastectomy no implants or implants

I am 68 yr old female. Have cancer in both breasts. Had 4 lumpectomies.  One breast they got clearance. The other not. Would like opinions whether to have a tissue expander inserted at time of mastectomy. what problems or pain  you may have encountered.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: mastectomy no implants or implants

Hi @elle1948 and welcome to our Online Community Smiley Happy

There's a bit of information available on mastectomies in our Breast Cancer information booklet (PDF), that does touch upon tissue expanders. 

Talking to one of Connect volunteers might be something that would be useful to you, some of them definitely would have undergone this procedure. You can find out more about Connect by calling 13 11 20 and you will be redirected to the team in your state.

Has anyone here had experience with tissue expanders or has undergone a mastectomy and could assist elle1948? 

0 Kudos
Margaret_CCNSW
Contributor

Hi elle1948,

Further to Kate's reply about the Cancer Council NSW's Cancer Connect Peer Support program, I recently came across this website which may also be helpful.

http://www.reclaimyourcurves.org.au       

From their website: Reclaim Your Curves is a registered charity run by a crew of volunteers, created to assist women to plan their life after breast cancer, specifically women seeking breast reconstruction. Practical advice and medical information in these pages is sourced from women who have undergone breast reconstruction and from the health professionals who have cared for them.

All the best for the way ahead,

Margaret,

Online Community Admin Team

0 Kudos
bevvzy
Contributor

HI sorry that im not really answering your question as I am too new at this. Im sure someone will though!  I am 55 and was diagnosed only a little over a week ago with IDC, sasw surgeon yesterday and having mastectomy in three weeks (20th). I was just a little alarmed by your post so instead of answering your question, I am asking one - sorry.  I asked the surgeon the chances of recurrence in the opposite breast and he said would be unlikely ie I was thinking a double mastectomy, if losing one I may as well lose both. but I read here that you did end up with it in both breasts?

0 Kudos
Fiona111
Regular Visitor

Hi ellie ..im 54 and 2 months ago i had bilateral masectomy. .before i had it i did research into everthing available. .i then had some councilling. ..my thoughts went round and round because i wanted bilateral and everyone thought i shouldn't. .im here to say i didnt want reconstruction i got beautiful bras with inserts ..best thing i did for myself ...im always even and my scares are clean and neat ...look into every thing first counciling .. bra shops and talk to others.. be happy and comfortable with your choices ...all the best
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.