tongue cancer

BevP1948
Not applicable

tongue cancer

Hi I am 65 years old and was diagnosed with tongue cancer early December had an operation to remove part of my tongue and had 25 lymph nodes removed from my neck. feeling so scared and alone even though my family are wonderful.As a non smoker the drs say it is rare for a non smoker to get this disease.Is there anyone in the same position as me
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Not applicable

Re: tongue cancer

Hi BevP1948, Welcome to Cancer Connections. We understand how important it is for you to be supported at this time and hope you will find Cancer Connections of benefit. Thanks for sharing a little about your current situation in the General Discussion Forum. Another great place to let other people find out more about you and to share as little or as much as you would like is our Introductions area. www.cancerconnections.com.au/forums/lounge/introductions I understand that you have already expressed interest in being part of the Mouth Nose & Throat Internet Support Group* - www.cancerconnections.com.au/groups/mouth-nose-throat-cancer-support-group - a Staff member will contact you shortly about your membership request. *(Part of Cancer Connections, this ISG is run by Cancer Council Victoria staff and has an additional membership process associated with it.) If you require any assistance using the Cancer Connections website, do not hesitate to contact us at admin@cancerconnections.com.au Kind regards, Felix Cancer Connections Coordinator
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Bev Another head and neck cancer person here. Welcome to cancer connections and as felix has pointed out there is a head and neck group that you can join. :) Hope you are travelling ok at the moment. Julie
0 Kudos
mahootna
Contributor

HI Bev, I also was diagnosed with tongue cancer last year. Like you I am a non smoker and also a non drinker, this makes us unusual when it comes to tongue cancer. Trauma can cause it and I can trace mine back to having my tongue damaged by eating chilli some years ago. This area never healed properly but when biopsies were done they came back as ulcer, no suspicious cells. Then a year ago all that changed. I hope you are going well now. Did you have any radiotherapy or chemo? I found the radiotherapy worse than the operation and 7 months later I am still learning to live with the changes
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.