Incurable Cancer

Purple_Star
Not applicable

Re: Incurable Cancer

Hi Rebecca, You are not alone. I have incurable cancer with the diagnosis of stage D but finger and toes crossed I'm still here. I'm in my forties but it does matter what age you are, it still hurts. It is a lonely journey but just hang in there, everyone's make-up is genetically different and so everyone has hope of conquering the cancer even against the statistics. And you know oncologists aren't in our bodies, they too can be wrong. I now believe in the will and strength of your mind, body and spirit and I will never give up. And the big thing for me now is I don't let the cancer absorb or dictate my life. I'm happy and really content with my life even though I'm having treatment which i dread. But I don't let it stop me from having a quality of life, i still do the things I love, eat and drink. And i run every day anything from 6-7 kms this gives me the energy and inner self to believe I will get through this. regards Purple Star
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Hi Rebecca I also have been told i have 12to 18 months to live,but i believe i have too much to live for i have a loving wife,daughter and grand children,i also have great mates supporting us I havent told anyone out of the family,about the oncologists diagnosis as i dont want them to worry to much,if and when the time comes i will inform them,I dont believe the expectancy they have given me,we are all very different inside i have told the oncologist i am going to live much longer so i am very determined,i have been given bad news before and i defied the odds,so keep doing what ever needs t0o be done to survive regards kj
0 Kudos
Krista
Occasional Contributor

I wonder how you are doing now, Rebecca? My husband, at 15 months was given a week to live. He is my world, my hope and we now have a little boy and a little one on the way. Anything is possible! My thoughts and best wishes are with you. Krista.
0 Kudos
Fashion-puss
Not applicable

Hi everyone, I have just joined and really need some help, I went in to have a cyst removed from one of my ovaries and whilst under they found my bowel cancer. I was told yesterday that the two were definitely connected; the bowel cancer had spread to my ovary. Now I have been told to "be prepared for the short term" I feel like my heart has broken; I have a beautiful 20 month old little girl and a loving husband. I have been deeply comforted by the above posts. Is there any advice any one can give me to help?
0 Kudos
Krista
Occasional Contributor

Oh wow. I am so sorry to hear that. I'm probably not going to be much help but honey, don't quit, don't stop fighting. Tell your Doctors you are not taking no for an answer and need them to give you assistance to fight this no matter what. You have to much to live for. There's a chance you may need to get a second opinion. Has the cancer spread anywhere else? Can they not perform radical surgery on you? Anything is better than the outcome they have given you. Once again, I am so sorry and I wish there was more I could do to help. Krista.
0 Kudos
Sharon_Croziir
Not applicable

The mother of someone I know went to her small town, kindly oncologist who told her she had 6 months to live. She calculated that date and drew a circle around it on her calendar. Then, every day she put a X on the current date. As her kids got wise to her actions, they told her that she could plan her life rather than her death. She refused to go to a nearby university hospital for a, perhaps, more informed second opinion. She just kept declining as she got closer to the circle on her calendar. She died on that fatal day. It all went as planned; not the day before or the day after but just as she was told by her trusted expert. We all must check out one day, but nobody knows that day until it arrives. (Has anyone noticed that doctors get licenses to "Practice?") In the many cancer clinics I've been to, I've met dozens of people who were told years earlier that there was no hope and given a prognosis of 6 months or a year. One man was told he wouldn't last the night -- a friend came in and convinced him to take some supplements and some Toco powder through his feeding tube. In 61 days he was again climbing hills on his farm. That was over 20 years ago. As cancer patient, we sometimes are the center of attention and we trust the people who love us. And we all are doing the best we know. I say a life is worth more than a drama and we know this viscerally. I've seen the attraction of that drama, including the possible release from the long struggle. The answer for me is to find out where I'm failing to speak my truth and dance my dance so that passing discomfort just emphasizes the value of life. My first oncologist (whose treatment kept my cancer at bay for 10 years) told me, "I can't save your life; I can do surgery and radiation, but only you can do that by making your life so much fun and so joyous you just don't have time to die." I can't go cosmic when beautiful people die. I can salute their life, celebrate their fulfillment and acknowledge my own incomplete information. But let's help each other stick around a while. Let's turn on to our own power and retrieve the power we've given to "smarter" friends and professionals who love us but unknowingly fill us with fear. A few of Sharon's rules: I get the docs to agree that we are in partnership for working on my life not my death. We also agree that I will let him/her know when I'm going to die. If they equivocate on these ("Of course, we do what we can buzz mumble...ahem..."), they're very nicely fired. As Doc Warner said, "People don't die of cancer, their doctors scare them to death." If I can, my second opinion is not from someone with the same clinic. Links? The UK is ahead of us in some ways medically: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/8125564/A-life-with-incurable-breast-cancer.html Mainstream medicine is making some good discoveries, though still use toxic solutions that should more often be reserved for immediate control rather than the only ongoing choice: http://yalepress.typepad.com/fightingcancer/2009/10/when-the-diagnosis-is-incurable-cancer.html People w/incurable diagnoses connect: http://www.cancerconnections.com.au/content/incurable-cancer Help for advanced cancer treatment (and don't wait until your doc gives up) http://www.cancertutor.com/ Just google words like hope for csancer, cancer cures, breakthroughs--and stuff like that. See you in the Funnies! Love! This poem is from a young girl in New York who was told she had six months. She has given up hope because she was given no power, just a "verdict." I sent her friend your forum's website--that's how I got here! You can give her back her life if she checks in. Thanks and much love, --Sharon SLOW DANCE Have you ever watched kids On a merry-go-round? Or listened to the rain Slapping on the ground? Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight? Or gazed at the sun into the fading night? You better slow down. Don't dance so fast. Time is short. The music won't last. Do you run through each day On the fly? When you ask How are you? Do you hear the reply? When the day is done Do you lie in your bed With the next hundred chores Running through your head? You'd better slow down Don't dance so fast. Time is short. The music won't last. Ever told your child, We'll do it tomorrow? And in your haste, Not see his sorrow? Ever lost touch, Let a good friendship die Cause you never had time To call and say,'Hi' You'd better slow down. Don't dance so fast. Time is short. The music won't last.. When you run so fast to get somewhere You miss half the fun of getting there. When you worry and hurry through your day, It is like an unopened gift.... Thrown away. Life is not a race. Do take it slower Hear the music Before the song is over.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.