Not being able to get past my past

Kristy
New Contributor

Not being able to get past my past

I am struggling to get past my past, I was only 23 when i got diagnosed with terminal liver cancer and only given 3-6months to live, I was given the strongest chemotherapy that was available, After having that and then having a liver resection the cancer then came back and was given more chemo, In 2010 i had a liver transplant and have been cancer free ever since, I am still finding it very hard to move forward though, There is some things that trigger me to have anxiety i am always living in fear that the cancer will return, I am not sure what else to do i just want to live my life and be happy.
5 REPLIES 5
GHT
Contributor

Re: Not being able to get past my past

I too struggle to move past my past for very different reasons. I have spoken to quite a few under 25s in my time though who have have been exposed to mortality early in life. I think it can be tough esp as generally it is so unexpected and young ppl don't gradually come to to terms with mortality the way older ppl do. Coming so close to death (or losing a friend a similar age) can really be challenging. It can make you feel the future isn't so big or options feel less expansive. I also reckon if you are truly believing you are going to die that you feel dead already which makes it hard to move forward. I don't know if you have had counselling but even if you had at the time of being ill, it might be worth having some now the transplant has worked. Getting stuck is awfully hard to move on from when you are the centre and someone else might need to be your way to get out of the quick sand. Just remember YOU ARE NOT DEAD!!! Warmest thoughts to you GHT
Kristy
New Contributor

Thank you so much GHT, Your words mean alot, I have not as yet spoken to a councillor face to face but i am speaking to one online, She has been wonderful and even just these last couple of days i have been feeling different with in myself, You are so right with those words You are not dead, Its exactly right, I need to embrace my life and that i have been given a second chance at life,
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Hi Kristy, I was in a similar situation after my husband went into remission. I can second GHT's suggestion about a councellor, talking to one really helped me live more in the present. Good luck with everything, sending love and hugs. Emily
Paulpwtierney
Occasional Contributor

Hello , everyone at age 23 whether they know it or not are faced with daily mortality. Of course you were faced with it in a much more traumatic manner than others but as others have said , at the end of the day you are alive , sounds like you have beaten cancer . I suspect that death for you for the rest of your life will be more immediate than others however there is nothing you can really do about this so my suggestion is live every day to the fullest. You have more understanding about the value of life than others. You can use this to you advantage ( like me who is waiting for sentence to be delivered ) as life is really no more than the present. My strategy is every day when I wake up to think - yes one more day and what can I achieve today. There is no point in thinking about dying which achieves nothing. There is only today. Good luck.
Jade

Use cbd or Rso oil as a preventative, it heals the body in so many ways, my mum has breast cancer that has spread to liver lung bone chest she was given 2 weeks incurable in December And she is still here strong and the tumours  have reduced, do research there are heaps of research on these oils. You are amazing. Dont let the cancer control your life anymore you are so lucky 🍀 it’s gone you have been blessed with a second chance, live it hun time is so precious. And use oils and healthy living as a preventative 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.