Brain Cancer

Not applicable

Re: Brain Cancer

Hi Sarah, Feelings are NEVER Logical! Emotion has little or nothing to do with logic, hence we can be terrified out of our minds over cancer just imagining the lump is malignant, only to find it isn't, but does that stop the fear? No. Even when it is cancer we are rapidly building our coffins long before, logically, we are told we are free and clear of it and need not worry too much about it returning. Then being told 'don't worry too much about it returning' every waking moment we feel it will return even tho logically we live another 60 years and it never happens. Logically we should be able to get this through not only our own heads, but everyone else's too, but can we? No because we are FEELING FEAR and logic can't stop that :-( Fear has no logic at all. sigh! wish it do have tho 🙂
0 Kudos
CarlC
Occasional Contributor

Hi All, I have been reading all your comments and find them so comforting. When I originally posted I was talking I think about antidepressants. Well I am going to go on them. I am sick of my mood swings and the lethargy. I know a lot of is caused my the drugs that are shoved into your body. I just cannot deal with it anymore and I am coming up for some more ops on my face to make me look more beautiful and to also stop the saliva dribbling down my face, etc. It is so hard for others to understand the feelings you have after having gone through chemo, radio and the other operations. (I had tonsil cancer). Cheers Carl
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Oh Carl, I am so sorry about how you are feeling and yes, people just do not want to understand and, I learned something new a couple of days ago. I run a forum for Cancer suffers in eBay and was telling my friend about it, she said she couldn't understand how I could do it, and just make sure I don't take on the suffering myself - HUH??? I have had cancer and lost both breasts and it is a very lonely experience. Anyway, back to antidepressants. I have been taking them ever since that time and, in my experience it brings back balance in life. It isn't a sin to take antidepressants and really I do think people make far too much of it, maybe afraid that we are all mad??? I don't know, but I can tell you it will make a huge difference to your outlook on life. Go for it I say and don't worry about it. Your brain is not producing the chemicals it needs to keep you feeling normal due to all you have been through, the antidepressants will replace the missing chemicals and you will come back to being you again.
0 Kudos
sarah
Contributor

I agree, CarlC, take all the help you can at this time. Your poor brain and spirit are no doubt fighting hard against bombardment from everywhere. Take this for a while and have a break - you deserve some relief; it will do some of the work for you. It may also protect from creating unhelpful connections now, that will be difficult to divert later. Most people just wont get it, no. We get it here though, you not alone.. My thoughts are going out to you......
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Totally agree with darkiescorner re feelings not being logical. :) Hey Carl ... I am another head and neck patient and thats one tough treatment to get through! Have you joined the head and neck group on this site? There are a few of us in the group that have posted and some handy hints have been put in there also. Julie
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Richard That must make life tough for you. I am wondering if you are able to tap into the brain inujured society and get some assistance from them. For instance, my friend can get a gym membership paid for and someone will actually set up a program specifically for her needs. They may well offer assistance in other areas that I am not aware of. If you need anyone to find out some information for you, let me know and I will see what i can find out for you. Julie
0 Kudos
CarlC
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys, Thanks for all your responses. When I see the psychologist and psychiatrist, I think that in some ways the isolation is such a big issue. Because I had part of my tongue replaced it makes it difficult to talk. You know what you want to say but you slow all your muscles down to what you are capable of. It is difficult to socialize. When I had my treatment friends and family were sometimes there but I used to recall getting to each radiotherapy by myself. I felt abandoned. How do you deal with that?
0 Kudos
Karen_Rose
Occasional Contributor

Hi CarlC I posted a reply/questions to your message under Head and Neck Cancer Patients. I would be very interested to know what they plan to do to help with your facial appearance and dribbling. I have the same horrible issues!!! Thanks Karen PS I think you are the same Carl I worked with on other projects??
0 Kudos
CarlC
Occasional Contributor

HI Karen, Yes I am the same person who worked with you on the projects. We are an illustrious little group. I have been seeing consultants and RMH and they are going to rebuild my bottom lip and bottom gums. Place teeth implants into my lower jaw. They do not recommend hyperbaric treatment as my reconstructed lower jaw seems to be quite healthy. Besides there is a question mark about Hyperbaric as it can encourage cancer cells to grow. One real positive about this next phase is that I will have a gutter for saliva. There is a risk that necrosis may occur - gees if that happened I would not know what to do. I guess we are in that high risk group. 3 strikes and you.....That is the reality.
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

HI Carl I would deal with as you are now and that is by reaching out to others and sharing experiences. It helps to know that others go through the same things and although most of us are on opposite sides of aus thanks to modern technology it bridges the gap very easily and quickly. When I had my radiotherapy I had to travel 200kms and basically I just stayed there for two months till it was all over. I did go home once in that time and had visitors a couple of times. Head and neck radiotherapy is very invasive and I think we all go into shock, which of course is different degrees for different people. How long is it since you finished treatment? Julie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.